Log Splitter
(06-21-2014, 06:37 AM)stevec Wrote: Dave, one reason I push the log into the wedge is because the two pieces end up on the "tray" just at and past the wedge.

Many pieces I split require more than one split and it's easier to bring 'em back without having to bend over and pick 'em up to do so.

Another reason is, I don't want the piece on my side falling onto my feet 'cause that's right about where they would go.

And finally, Some larger or recalcitrant pieces won't split completely in two, so, I can back up the ram without dragging the piece back and then have to lever or beat it off the wedge thereby falling on my feet.

My question is this ? How BIG are your feet ????????Rotfl
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
Ken, the only thing I'll say is that they get bigger when logs fall on them! (as well as getting sorer).
P.S. is that a word? maybe more sore?Rolleyes
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2014, 05:55 PM)stevec Wrote: ... sorer).
P.S. is that a word? ...

Yes.
Thanks given by:
I got a couple of wheels to day. These have a nylon bushing I really wanted them with steel bushes, the guy at the shop said I was 30 years too late. Big Grin Story of my life Smile
They are rated at 180kgs/400lbs, 350mm/14" dia. so they should be OK.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2014, 05:55 PM)stevec Wrote: Ken, the only thing I'll say is that they get bigger when logs fall on them! (as well as getting sorer).
P.S. is that a word? maybe more sore?Rolleyes

Trust me , I dropped a spindle assembly on my big toe a few years ago and still have trouble because of it . You would think we could get out of the way faster,but that was only when we were young ......
Thanks given by:
Dave H, just a few pics of some of today's firewood processing.
Here's a shot of the second of 2 logs I drug outa my woods.
I'm now cutting the logs 128" long so I can get 8 x 16" pieces per log

the first piece has already become 8pcs.

Here we go ready to pull the log up to the logging arch.

Here's the cable reset to pull the log onto the arch.

after cutting the first 4 pcs. I reset the cable to pull the log out of the arch onto the "cutting table" to allow me to cut the remaining 4 pcs.

Here's the last piece.

And here's a pic of what is already stacked so far this year, it's 20 ft. long by 6 ft. high and that's the second row of 5 that I require.
The 16 pcs ready for the splitter should complete the second row.

The "logging arch I built started out as a transport device for hauling logs out of the bush. The idea was that you back over the log and then winch it up and then haul it out of the bush.
Even with the little "road" that I have, backing the arch in behind the tractor doesn't work for me.
Backing over the log doesn't work for me either.

So I modified the Arch with rollers that I had in inventory and now I can roll logs on and cut the up at a comfortable waist height as I roll them back out.
Nice to have reaped some use out of a project that originally didn't work for me.
Big Grin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nicely shown Steve, just wondering what do you use all that wood for, heating the water, general heating, cooking?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
DaveH, we have electric heating in a large house & shop in the province with the most expensive electricity in the country.
I have installed a large airtight stove in the now insulated basement and a smaller one in the living room on the first floor.
I also have a small YÖTUL airtight in my shop.
I have the baseboard heater breakers turned off and still my power bills are high (lighting, cooking, hotwater, etc.).
I burn about 6-8 cord (1 cord = 128 cu.ft.) per winter.
The house is well insulated for one under 25 yrs. old but really too large for the two of us ( I chose it for the shop/garage space).
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve,
my goodness you sure do use a lot of wood 6-8 cords Yikes
I use (wait for it) about half a cord nearly 2 cu meters Rotfl and for some reason I'm building "the most expensive log splitter in the world" Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I have learned my lesson about making smarta$$ remarks about feet , " Karma " made an appearance and I will now be more careful , hence the photographic evidence . This will keep me off the dance floor for a while . A spindle assembly from a lincoln towncar , came off the table and I tried to catch it with my big toe . The good news is the spindle is OK , the bad news is , Aw, never mind ....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: