Log Splitter
(05-24-2014, 06:22 AM)stevec Wrote: Hope you don't have trouble finding a motor for that bell housing. I understand now how the pump attaches to it.
Thanks Steve,
The motor is sort of a standard one here. 2.2KW with feet and flange used all over for pumps (water). Just trying to find the best one at the best price Chin But I don't want to go too cheap and have it fall to bits after a few months. Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
On the control valve - anyone know why it is so big compared to some others I have seen?
Also next to orange plugs there are two more 'ports' with two silver coloured plugs, anyone know what they are for?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-24-2014, 09:29 AM)DaveH Wrote: On the control valve - anyone know why it is so big compared to some others I have seen?

My guess is that "lots of things" want a larger valve and flow rate than a log splitter and then the follow on is that a generic valve that fits "lots of things" is cheaper to make based on economy of scale than a smaller one. Other than the cumbersome nature of the valve it should not affect your performance.

(05-24-2014, 09:29 AM)DaveH Wrote: Also next to orange plugs there are two more 'ports' with two silver coloured plugs, anyone know what they are for?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Again a guess on my part but it could be where you would insert plugs to convert the valve from open center to closed center or for power-beyond fittings.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Thanks Arvid,
I couldn't find anyone/company that sold "log splitter" control valves as such. So I had to take what I could get.

I understand 'closed centre open centre' and I have seen in my travels around the internet about hydraulics/control valves the term 'power beyond fittings' - I thought it was something to do with the "trekkies" Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Got some more goodies today
2.2KW motor.
Shown here with the bellhousing just pushed on.

"But wait ............ there's more" Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Originally I was getting a single phase cap. start/ cap. run motor which are expensive. So while at the 'motor shop' I decided to look for a motor for my lathe a 1.5KW, same thing cap.start and run.
They showed me this 'plug and play' inverter system - the inverter I can just plug into the wall socket and then just plug in the motor. Fully portable interchangeable.
The real big advantage is the cost of a 3 phase 2.2KW motor compared to a single phase 2.2KW motor. In my case it costs a third of a single phase motor. So I ended up with a 3 phase 2.2KW motor and an inverter and not much more than just a single phase motor.
Two 3 phase motors plus an inverter cost less than two single phase motors.

The control part of the inverter can be used remotely.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Finishing off the design - well more like where to put this Big Grin

Being in the Southern hemisphere can lead to a few problems - like the motor goes the wrong way, simple fix mount it upside down. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think this is going to be the most expensive log splitter in the world Blush
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-28-2014, 12:02 PM)DaveH Wrote: ...

Being in the Southern hemisphere can lead to a few problems - like the motor goes the wrong way, simple fix mount it upside down.

DaveH

Dave,

If that's a 3-phase motor driven by the inverter then just swap two of the leads on the motor and it will reverse the direction. You can probably do it with some settings in the inverter also.

Ed
Thanks given by: DaveH
Ed,
It is a 3 phase motor 220/380v, the inverter comes with a 100 page 'operation manual' looks to me it as it was written by a space man 17428
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I had the same problem when I first installed a 3-phase motor and VFD on my mill. I wondered why the hole I was trying to drill was taking so long until I realized the spindle was turning in the wrong direction. I swapped two of the wires on the motor and all was well.

Ed
Thanks given by: