Log Splitter
(05-30-2014, 03:12 PM)EdK Wrote: Dave,
You always want the stop button to be a normally closed button. That way if a wire breaks in the stop button circuitry it'll look like you pressed the stop button which is what you want for safety purposes.
Ed

Ed,
That's how I thought it should be.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-30-2014, 03:08 PM)EdK Wrote: Dave,

I can help you. I didn't respond because you said you weren't going to wire those in on the log splitter but on your lathe later on. I'll draw something up and post it.

Ed
Ed, That is true, just for the lathe.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave,

I assume you're going to use the same VFD for your lathe. If not, then the terminal names might be different. This is based on your VFD for your log splitter. I'll dig into the settings you'll need to tweak next and post them later.

Ed

Thanks given by: DaveH
(05-30-2014, 01:19 PM)EdK Wrote: Steve,

What are you trying to do with your VFD? I'll try to help out.

Ed

Ed,
I'm planning to put the 3 phase motor back on my milling machine and use the variable speed capabilities that come with the VFD.
There's no rush, I have the 3 ph motor and VFD set-up on the "test bench" and I'll eventually try some of the instructions I've read and think I understand when I get a "round toit"
Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-30-2014, 12:47 PM)DaveH Wrote: Your control valve is it a detent type?
DaveH

Yes Dave, it's really nice to be able to push the lever to detent for the return stroke and get on with clearing the split wood or readying the next piece to be split.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-30-2014, 04:07 PM)EdK Wrote: Dave,

I assume you're going to use the same VFD for your lathe. If not, then the terminal names might be different. This is based on your VFD for your log splitter. I'll dig into the settings you'll need to tweak next and post them later.

Ed
Thanks Ed,
I'm using the same VFD for the lathe.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-28-2014, 11:39 AM)DaveH Wrote: Two 3 phase motors plus an inverter cost less than two single phase motors.
DaveH
Dave if your lathe and splitter motors are identical I'm pretty sure you could run either the lathe or the splitter with the one inverter (VFD).
If they're different you may have to reprogram the inverter from one to the other
You'd still have to disconnect the input to the VFD before switching from one machine to the other.
Thanks given by:
Steve,
Not the same, the lathe motor is 1.5KW 4 pole (1500rpm). It is for the lathe that the stop, start, reverse and speed control will be useful.
The log splitter will just be switched on and run. I envisage the inverter will be used a lot more on the lathe than the log splitter, I can see the log splitter only being used 10 times a year.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I'm making "the most expensive log splitter in the world" to use about 10 times a year, I think I have lost my presence of mind. 5176 5176 5176
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Don't worry Dave, so do I. And, so have I. Smiley-eatdrink004
Enjoy the bliss. Big Grin
Thanks given by: