Log Splitter
I have most of the stuff required - just still to get the hydraulic tank / axle carrier for this I need some tubing rectangular 200mm x 100mm, and a couple of wheels.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Finally got some 200mm x 100mm x 3mm thick rectangular tube, a meter long.
I was beginning to think I would have to get this fabricated as no one wanted to sell me just 1 meter length.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi,
Is there a rule of thumb for the amount of hydraulic fluid needed.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The rule of thumb that I have seen is "3 times the high pressure flow capacity of the pump".

This may seem like a lot and IMHO I would want to error on the high side. You do not want to pump to suffer from cavitation and you want enough oil to ensure it stays cool during use.

Maybe the unscientific method would be to say "I have 'rule of thumb-d' I need this much and there seems to be room for a (calculated plus 25% bigger' tank just about here ...". A 'too big' tanks are not generally that much more expensive than a smaller tank ... both initially or to fill ... and do not create problems the same way a 'too small' tank will.

But that is just my opinion,
Arvid
Thanks given by:
Thanks arvid, I'll see what I come up with.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
My pump is 3cc/min
So at 3000rpm(max) = 9 liters/min = 2.4gal
x 3 = 27 liters = 7 gal.

My tank is 200 x 100 x 1000mm = 20 liters = 5.2 gal

Will have to be 20 liters of hydraulic fluid. (2.2 times the flow of the pump.)

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I was a little concerned about the amount of hydraulic fluid - 5 gals. I think it should be OK because checking a commercial one the 16 Ton Ramsplitter that one uses 3.5 gal.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Checked another one, 20 ton 2.25 gals.
There is a Brave log splitter 26 ton 5" cylinder requires 5.4 gals.
I should be fine with 20 liters 5.2gal.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Cylinders operate very efficiently, so generate almost no heat, you'll get a bit from the pump. 2 or 3 gallons should be lots. If you were using motors and flow control valves, then you'd need some capacity or better a cooler. The auxiliary hydraulics on my tractor have about a 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon a minute pump. The wood splitter and the backhoe hardly warm the lines, the two hydraulic motors and flow control on the chipper feeder heat the oil up right quick, gets any water boiled off.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Greg,
"Water boiled off" is this water in the hydraulic fluid, if so where does it come from.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: