Log Splitter
Hi,
I'm still keen to build a log splitter, I just need to see if I can find some hydraulic bits and pieces in my price range.Smile
May be I can find a reconditioned cylinder or something.
In the mean time here is a pic of my new (today) 6 ton electric/hydraulic log splitterThumbsup

Seems to work quite well Thumbsup

This is the 2 metre (6ft) I beam I bought Slaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
DaveH, what are the other domensions? like height of the beam and width and thickness of the flats.
Reason I ask is, depending on the tonnage (force) of the splitter, the pusher slide (top of the beam) may require a thicker (and wider) plate welded to the beam as I discovered Bash twice.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Dave,

Isn't that my beam in the second picture? 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-15-2014, 06:58 AM)EdK Wrote: Dave,

Isn't that my beam in the second picture? 17428

Ed

Yep Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Steve,
It's a standard IPE section. 120x64
Height 120mm
Width 64mm
Web 4.4mm
Flange 6.3mm
I would have preferred 140x73 but he only had 13 meter lengths.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I've use the 6 ton log splitter today, I'm quite surprised how well it works.Thumbsup For some reason I didn't think 6 tons would be nearly enough.
There are a couple of knotty pieces it won't do, but there again the manual 10 ton won't split it either. Slaphead
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Here is a sketch of the log splitter (built one) may look like.
Just a quick sketch. Just over 1 meter long.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
And for those that like pretty pics (like me Smile)

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
DaveH,
I was going to build a splitter too, but after using a 5 ton electric I gave up on that idea. It cost me $50 because the guide rods on the sides were bent. After a trip to get my gas tank filled it took me 5 min. to fix and another half hour to find some nuts to fit the ends. After splitting 3 truck loads of oak it worked out great and now I have some cherry to do. I do like the no noise factor and no gas to feed it. I did some y pieces and some big stuff and did the job. It also stores easy and can be used inside too. Using a pusher log like you did works great and speeds things up.
Paul
pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I will have to make some sort of stand for it, or put it on a table (perhaps my welding table) whilst it is being used. Kneeling down all the time is 'killing' my knees Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: