Building an Aligator
Went on a road trip today to visit a forestry museum in Algonquin Park Ontario. To specifically have a look at this.
[Image: 0aa3.jpg]
They were used in this area from the late 1890's to about the 50's for moving log booms. They had the unique ability to winch themselves over land from one body of water to the next, hence the name alligator.
An old friend Dr Burwell now 84 thinks we need to build a smaller version of one of these. By smaller he's thinking 30 feet long and 8 foot wide. He's trying to recruit 6 or 8 of us to take on the project.
He has a horizontal fire tube boiler, rated at 5hp and a 4inch bore 5inch stroke vertical engine lined up for the thing.
Still not sure where I'd find the time to get involved but will probably jump in.

Anyone have any idea how to go about designing a paddle wheel?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi Greg, that looks an interesting project to get involved in.Quite clever how it drags itself over land to the next job too.
Its a shame you were not closer I am sure myself, John Doubleboost and Bob KRV3000 would havecbeen up for giving a hand too.
Good luck with the project and keep the photos coming if it goes ahead.
Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Greg Chin I don't know what to say, "Idle hands are the devil's playground" comes to mind but you don't have idle hands. 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Quality control does an inspection on the intended engine and boiler,

[Image: IMG_1208.jpg]

Wasn't there but Bill did a hydrostatic test on the boiler and fired it and the engine up Saturday. Apparently ran smooth with no disturbing noises.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Wow
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I dunno, looking at the blue "director's chair" on the left it looks like there might have been a scary eruption, due possibly to a loud scary eruption from the machine?? Yikes Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thats what happens when you fart too close to a wood fired boiler, flashback.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Is that 3 whistles on the boiler or have I missed a few.
Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2014, 01:22 AM)Brian Wrote: Is that 3 whistles on the boiler or have I missed a few.
Brian.

Only see two, probably more to come, you might be counting the safety valve behind the pressure gauge.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, would the two whistles be of different pitch signalling different horrific things about to happen? Rotfl
Thanks given by: