Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
(06-29-2014, 10:18 AM)DaveH Wrote: ...
Ed, Willie, can you please say how long your guide bushes are. I'm thinking they are 3" long,
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Good guess Dave. 3.22".

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-29-2014, 10:11 AM)DaveH Wrote: Thanks Willie,
Welded it - not a pretty site Blush , I'll clean them up then they won't look too bad Big Grin

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8770]

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Before you make them pretty Dave, I would consider grinding off that center bead on the right side and give it a "do-over". Other than that I think you are good to go without seeing the other side. Thumbsup

I'm assuming your are going to mill off the excess from the bottom of the guides? Just be careful of those weld beads because they are probably going to be in carbide or grinding wheel territory in terms of hardness. Yikes

It won't be long now, and you'll be doing your signature dance again. Smiley-dancenana

Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
By the way Dave, I just noticed where your natural panache comes from. Cool

I see you buy it in bucket loads... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-29-2014, 11:47 AM)Highpower Wrote: By the way Dave, I just noticed where your natural panache comes from. Cool
I see you buy it in bucket loads... Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl Now that is good Thumbsup

The right hand side middle weld I can grind it off and re-weld it.

3.22" = near enough 82 mm. Mine are 80mm, now if I put an inverted angle iron in the bottom part (the 'V' die) I should be okay. I'll have to check it out just to make sure.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I shall grind all the welds down a bit, make it look a bit more presentable. Depending on how they appear and how I feel I may well fill in the remaining gaps.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave, I'd say weld between the welds that you've already done, chip off the slag, then clean everything up with the grinder and then do a nice slow pass moving the rod from side to side in a zig zag fashion then chip off the slag and you should have a nice wide bead or at least some meat you can regrind to make it look more presentable, if that's what you desire.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve,
Doing a slow pass down the whole guide bush probably may just make things worst. I really don't think that would work with my welding skills Bash
Plus I am always concerned getting the whole thing too hot and causing some distortion.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Wuss! Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ya know I've never been afraid of screwing up the weld, it's having to re machine the parts I worry about.
I enjoy machining just hate do overs.SlapheadSweatDrinks

Jerry
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: