Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
(07-05-2014, 12:25 PM)EdK Wrote: Dave,

I'm not visualizing where the screws are that hold the 'cup' on. Can you post a picture showing that?

Ed

@^$#*&%^$ Bash Bash Bash
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
This should help Smiley-dancenana
This shows the two separate parts.

The 5mm counter-sunk stainless steel machine screw fixing the 'cup' to the top die. The top die was drilled and tapped.

I should have taken them in the first place would have saved all that writing Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK
Now on the Swagoffroad press brake there are a couple of "ears" that have to be welded on so that the press brake can be clamped in place. So I thought I had better make something to hold/clamp it in place, I have no idea if it really needs to be clamped in place or not but Swag seem to think so.
Now welding is out because I have painted it so I made these, - no not the pencil.

They fit one on each side.

The slot allows them to slide into place

There is one on each side I can slide them into place and tighten the bolt.

Not sure if I need them but if I do ...........

Also the astute amongst us will notice the slot isn't parallel this is because the sides on the flanges of the 'C' channel are not parallel one side tapers (thicker towards the web).
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 01:37 PM)DaveH Wrote: Now on the Swagoffroad press brake there are a couple of "ears" that have to be welded on so that the press brake can be clamped in place. So I thought I had better make something to hold/clamp it in place, I have no idea if it really needs to be clamped in place or not but Swag seem to think so.
Now welding is out because I have painted it so I made these, - no not the pencil.

They fit one on each side.

The slot allows them to slide into place

There is one on each side I can slide them into place and tighten the bolt.

Not sure if I need them but if I do ...........

Also the astute amongst us will notice the slot isn't parallel this is because the sides on the flanges of the 'C' channel are not parallel one side tapers (thicker towards the web).
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
OK , Now I am officially suffering from tool envy , I know it is a bad thing to admit , but I can't help it .BashBashBash This means I have to put together the materials , make a spot in the shop , build it and then I will be alright again , (for a while). Thanks a lot ! ! ! ! Big Grin
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
WAIT! You have tool envy? You seem to be able to buy EVERYTHING that's for sale, AND build room for it.
No sympathy. Rant
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 09:56 AM)arvidj Wrote: Dave,

On mine the "bottom die" is held in place between two round shafts that are welded to the base.

The "bottom die" is left in place when bending relatively light weight materials and is removed ... leaving just the two round shafts to act as the "bottom die" ... when bending relatively heavy weight materials.

I'm not suggesting it is the correct\better\best\only way to do anything, just offering it as food for thought.

Arvid

Arvid

What is the diameter and C-C distance of the two round bars that are used as the bottom dies on your unit?

Also do you know how heavy of plate it was rated to break?

Thanks

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 02:46 PM)starlight_tools Wrote: Also do you know how heavy of plate it was rated to break?

Thanks

Walter
Walter,
It is called a "Press Brake" it is not intended to break anything. Big Grin Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 03:26 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(07-05-2014, 02:46 PM)starlight_tools Wrote: Also do you know how heavy of plate it was rated to break?

Thanks

Walter
Walter,
It is called a "Press Brake" it is not intended to break anything. Big Grin Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Ah, Shucks, I like breaking things, LOL

Walter
starlight_tools, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2014, 02:31 PM)stevec Wrote: WAIT! You have tool envy? You seem to be able to buy EVERYTHING that's for sale, AND build room for it.
No sympathy. Rant

Not really , I have an allowance as long as I meet a certain monthly income ,otherwise it's zilch point nothing and I am lucky she doesn't doc my food allowance . I would like to tell everyone I am the one running this mess , but it ain't so . I would be broke , I might have every tool known to man but , I would have to eat them eventually if she didn't control the money . I do trade a lot when she's not looking though . Fortunately she doesn't pay attention to the things that come in the shop at the back door . And this is 40 years accumulation of tools . Thumbsup
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
starlight_tools Wrote:Arvid

What is the diameter and C-C distance of the two round bars that are used as the bottom dies on your unit?

Also do you know how heavy of plate it was rated to break?

Thanks

Walter

Walter,

I do not remember what they claimed it was capable of bending. I remember seeing charts that suggest the thickness and width that 20 tons will bend but I can't find the link at the moment.

Here is a picture with the small die in place. You can see it just fits between the two rods that are welded to the base plate.

Here is a picture with the small die removed.

I measured the width of the small die so that defines ... more or less ... the gap between the two rods.

And then I measured the diameter of the rod. Note that I must have hit the reset when I went to take the picture but it was 1 inch in diameter.

I hope that helps.
Arvid
Thanks given by: starlight_tools