Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
(06-14-2014, 05:25 PM)Highpower Wrote: The best way to get an answer to that is to go straight to the source Dave.
troy@swagoffroad.com

I have a question also. Using the two angles welded to a base plate, what do they do to get the proper radius in the bottom of the die after the angles are welded together? Chin
The two angles don't do much at all to get a proper radius, but there again nor does the single piece of angle. 17428

It would be nice to ask swagoffroad about their design - I'm not going to though as it seems a bit "cheeky" on my part. Blush It also seems as I am questioning their design and that is not what I am doing. I'm just trying to sort out (in my own mind) what is the best options for me.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 05:27 PM)f350ca Wrote: Doesn't the angle of the die have to be a little less than 90 deg to account for spring back?
Greg,
I think what happens here because of the use of angle iron as the die, the idea is to force the metal harder into the die so that the metal forms a slightly smaller angle than 90deg to allow for spring back.
Seems a little hit and miss but it seems to work.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I've been battling all week with flu, now I'm feeling a lot better. So the best thing is for me is to just go and make something and see what happens. It will either bend the metal or it won't.
It seems to have got far too complicated, and I've had enough of headaches from the flu, never mind all this thinking Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Don't over-think it Dave. A lot of people have the swagoffroad press brake and I haven't seen any complaints about them. Granted, they're made for a 20 ton press so the design would likely need to change to use it on a bigger press bending thicker metal.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 08:17 PM)EdK Wrote: Don't over-think it Dave. A lot of people have the swagoffroad press brake and I haven't seen any complaints about them. Granted, they're made for a 20 ton press so the design would likely need to change to use it on a bigger press bending thicker metal.

Ed
I agree Ed, the swagoffroad press brake is a very well designed and performs very well.
Have you welded yours together yet Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hell no! Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 06:54 PM)EdK Wrote: Willie,

I didn't even see those slugs of steel hidden in the bag with the collar ring. Do you know where they're supposed to be welded onto? 17428

Ed

I stood them up just in front of the channel where they go Ed. The "tabs" on the slugs fit into the notches in ends of the channel. I don't know if yours is the same, but the left and right sides have different sized notches and tabs on mine.
[Image: Tabs.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
All cleaned up ready for the welding disaster Cool

Welded the four corners

Eventually all welded a bit at at time -Sorry guys does look a bit rubbishy.Slaphead

Cleaned it up with the angle grinder and flap disc sander.

With 5 layers of thick paint it may not look too bad Bash

Still not decided to weld on a top angle or not.

Sorry about my welding guys - I did listen to what you said. Sometimes things just do not come out as planned.Slaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I really thought I should give it a try.
A piece 30mm x 5mm
A bit of a crude top die Big Grin I had to try it Smile

It didn't come out too bad, very easy to bend very little force and a heck of a lot better than hitting it with a big hammer in a vice. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
No need to apologize for your welding Dave. It looks just like mine. On second thought, there may be room for a small apology. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by: