Press brake for 20 ton hydraulic press
Dave, what kind of welder are you using? Just curious.
There's a sig line from a guy on another forum (sorry Ed Blush).
I think it goes " If you can't weld well, weld lots".
I think it means practice makes perfect (or at least better).
It's hard for us "occasional" welders, but once you find the rod, wire , core, flux or whatever your success will improve.
Unfortunately with the price/quantities of the above consumables, finding an acceptable combo can be expensive.
If I had any semblance of organization I'd schedule a small lesser important job to do before I started on a several hour job.
I dunno if it's me or my machine that needs to warm up but my welds toward the end of the job always look much better than at the start.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,
Here it is http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...08#pid1608
I think the welder is fine, it's just me Slaphead
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2014, 09:24 AM)DaveH Wrote: All cleaned up ready for the welding disaster Cool

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Yikes Holy cow Dave, you shined those things up like a new penny! Thumbsup

Everybody has to shake the cobwebs out if they haven't welded for some time. Like Steve says, my last welds always look better than my first. If you're doing it 40 hours a week it's a different story. What type of electrodes did you use on that?

For some reason I thought you were going to just use the two bottom angles as your lower die. That's why I asked about the bottom radius previously. But the third angle on top makes that a moot point. Makes more sense to me now. Smiley-signs140 Bash

It obviously works just fine and I say it's another job well done. I fear that any stray pieces of metal laying around your shop are doomed to end up as pretzels for some time to come though. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Sorry Willie, I feel I have let you down somewhat. On the bright side it didn't warp Smiley-dancenana

Once I start with these flap discs (bit like rattle cans) I never know when to stop. Cool
When it gets painted it won't look too bad.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2014, 04:27 PM)Highpower Wrote: What type of electrodes did you use on that?
They are long thin ones Rotfl
They are from Afrox, 2.5mm dia. called Vitemax. They are probably one of the most expensive ones here. I need all the help I can get so using cheap electrodes for me would be an even bigger disaster.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2014, 04:54 PM)DaveH Wrote: Sorry Willie, I feel I have let you down somewhat.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

17428 17428 17428
You never have and never will mate! Smiley-eatdrink004
Not being familiar with the rods available down south of me, I had to look them up. I think I found the answer to the appearance of your weld beads.

Quote:Vitemax® is a premium quality rutile electrode for use in all
positions including vertical downwards. The electrode has a
smooth, quiet arc action, low spatter loss with good striking and
restrike characteristics and excellent slag detachability. In most
cases the slag is self-lifting. The electrode welds relatively cold
which makes it ideally suited for bridging large gaps, i.e. where
poor fit-up occurs and for tacking. This versatile electrode,
which has a rapid burn-off rate, produces smooth welds in all
positions. The weld metal deposited complies with radiographic
quality to AWS A5.1 grade 1.

They appear to be the equivalent of 6013 electrodes here in the states. Try to find something more like 6010 (DC) or 6011 (AC) electrodes and try them out if you get a chance and see how they work for you. They burn hotter with more penetration and you might like them better. Smiley-eatdrink004

As noted in the quote above your Vitemax rods should do a good job of filling in large gaps between parts though. A good thing to know in the future.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ok as promised! Big Grin
My cheep and cheesy metal break! 17431

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
You're a much braver man than I am Jerry! Worthy

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Rotfl Ha!Ha!Ha! RotflRotflRotfl
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2014, 09:39 PM)Highpower Wrote: They appear to be the equivalent of 6013 electrodes here in the states. Try to find something more like 6010 (DC) or 6011 (AC) electrodes and try them out if you get a chance and see how they work for you. They burn hotter with more penetration and you might like them better. Smiley-eatdrink004

As noted in the quote above your Vitemax rods should do a good job of filling in large gaps between parts though. A good thing to know in the future.
Thanks Willie,
A year or two back I was told my welds are too cold, should I turn up the amps?. The electrodes I'm using say 60 - 95A (2.5mm dia) my welder was set on 95A, may be I should turn it up a little more.

I'll have a look for some 6010 or 6011 electrodes.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: