Vintage Starrett Tools
I am a newcomer to this Forum. In my Introduction postings I mentioned that I a have a passion for Vintage Starrett tools and that I had composed a web page (with numerous pics) devoted to them. I have included a link to the page in my signature block, please visit if you have a chance - all comments and input are most welcome via this Forum.
Thanks given by:
Welcome jfp!

In many ways I share your passion for Starrett tools as their plant in Athol MA is less than 35 miles from me. I've taken friends/visitors there for tours. Have you ever been?

In some ways, it's a working museum because some tools are still made in the same way as was many years ago. I have dozens (if not over 100) Starrett tools, and the only ones I would never buy again are their digital electronic ones. I've got a couple of dead ones (6" calipers, 0-1" micrometer) to remind me why...spare/repair parts no longer available.

I'll have to get a photo of one tool I have which is marked Starrett, but no other numbers. It's a versatile inside-outside-hermaphrodite caliper that I've never found in any catalogs, though I don't have any book older than a No.28. Perhaps you could identify it.
Thanks given by: jfp
(06-11-2014, 02:34 PM)PixMan Wrote: Welcome jfp!

In many ways I share your passion for Starrett tools as their plant in Athol MA is less than 35 miles from me. I've taken friends/visitors there for tours. Have you ever been?
Thank you, Ken - I have never been to the factory.

Quote:.......... I'll have to get a photo of one tool I have which is marked Starrett, but no other numbers. It's a versatile inside-outside-hermaphrodite caliper that I've never found in any catalogs, though I don't have any book older than a No.28. Perhaps you could identify it.
I saw the photo when I was reading through the old posts, Ken. It is the No. 44 Double Caliper (not hermaphrodite caliper) which I found listed in the No.13 (1895) catalog and each succeeding catalog up to No. 26 (1936) - evidently it was discontinued after WWII - it was not stamped with a catalog number - many older calipers, weren't. Here is a scan from Catalog No. 24 (1927):

[Image: 0astarrett67.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's a No.44! Thank you!

It can be used as a hermaphrodite caliper simply by inverting only one leg, so you get one "divider" leg and one outside caliper leg.

I rarely use it because I've got a DRO on my lathe, but still handy to have and I'd never give it up. I don't know when they discontinued it, but I've never seen another.

P.S. - I measured mine, it's the smaller 6" version.
Cool site James, thanks for sharing. I have it bookmarked for future reference.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
(06-11-2014, 08:46 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Cool site James, thanks for sharing. I have it bookmarked for future reference.

-Ron
Thank you for the feedback Ron.
Thanks given by:
Hi James welcome to the forum, lots of toolaholics on here so should keep you busy. I have only got a few Starrett tools but like them. I have only had a quick look at your site but I am impressed and found it interesting , thanks for sharing.

cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Some interesting material there James. I enjoyed reading it.

If you ever get the chance to visit the Athol plant, I can highly recommend it. Ken (pixman) took me there a couple of years a go and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to go back again at some stage as there is just so much to see. Next time I need Ken to create a distraction when we walk through the shipping room. I intend to print up some address labels and slap them on as many boxes as I can!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Well, I just discovered the "Thanks" button! Please excuse the extraneous replies.
Thanks given by:
Today I updated my web page to include a reorganization of content, the addition of several new illustrations and quite a bit of additional information.
Thanks given by: