Modified file
I cannot recall where I saw this done previously but I find it very handy.

I took an older 6" file, cut the tang off and then rounded the base. The file now sits comfortably in the palm of my hand and is perfect for de-burring or fine work. I have much better control of the file when working on small pieces that are held in my hand.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good tip Darren. It beats the heck out of poking the tang of the file into the heel of your hand.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
When I saw the first picture I thought you were making a machinists scraper.

That is a good idea for a small / short file though. Smiley-eatdrink004

Tom, you know you would get comments if you said that on video right? Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. I've seen golf balls used on the tang but to me that would feel a clumsy as a handle when using a small file for this sort of work. Also, I can put it in my pocket so I'm less likely to lose it amongst all the clutter on the bench!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 11:37 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Also, I can put it in my pocket so I'm less likely to lose it amongst all the clutter on the bench!

Sounds like a good idea Darren but I'd forget and spend an hour or so looking through the clutter on my bench(s) only to find it at bedtime when I took my shirt off. Bash Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve! I didn't want to be the first one to have to admit doing that. Big Grin

I've spent hours looking for things that I had just set down the day before. Somewhere..... Slaphead
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-15-2014, 06:42 AM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks Steve! I didn't want to be the first one to have to admit doing that. Big Grin

I've spent hours looking for things that I had just set down the day before. Somewhere..... Slaphead

Well you are lucky I can spend days Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2014, 10:01 PM)Highpower Wrote: Tom, you know you would get comments if you said that on video right? Rotfl

Oh yeah. There are those who cruise the YT videos just looking for things to comment on to make themselves look educated. I had one guy leave nine consecutive comments on a video pointing out ways that he could do the same thing better. Slaphead Thank goodness for the delete and ban functions.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I have noticed over the years , that there are a hugh number of people that know more about everything than I do . Makes me wonder how did I ever make it this far . But when I look around , I don't see any of them doing the same things I am doing , better or not .
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
Yup, it's the old talker vs. doer thing. This forum is made up of doer's. Thumbsup
Thanks given by: