A stick welding question
Hi Guys,
I have noticed joining two pieces of metal say 12" long sometimes the whole 12" is welded another time the weld is 1.5" long then a gap of 1.5" and so on,
what is the reason for this weld and a gap?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It saves on the cost of filler metal, saves weight and in most cases provides more than enough strength to the weldment. Imagine the extra cost and weight of building a cargo container ship with 100% continuous welds through out the entire vessel. Yikes
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have done that on the press brake?
Less welding - less to go wrong Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The way I see it, it's one thing to have a couple of short welds holding a steel table together. It's quite another when you have the weight of a city bus parked on top of it. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2014, 01:57 PM)DaveH Wrote: Hi Guys,
I have noticed joining two pieces of metal say 12" long sometimes the whole 12" is welded another time the weld is 1.5" long then a gap of 1.5" and so on,
what is the reason for this weld and a gap?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

The reason for the gap is to keep the metal from warping , concentrated heat will put a nice curve where you don't want one if you don't break it up and skip a little here and there . this is especially true for thin metal .
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ken,
What is considered thin 3mm and less?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-20-2014, 09:54 AM)DaveH Wrote: Thanks Ken,
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

I would also like to know what is considered "thin". 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:

(06-20-2014, 09:54 AM)DaveH Wrote: Thanks Ken,
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Hi Dave , that's about right , even heavy steel plate will warp if you are not careful about how you weld it . we do a lot of 1/2"-1" plate and i-beam for the mines and the test site .We have a "Miller Bobcat" on a truck for the off-site jobs
That's the reason for tig welders really , the small thickness is easier to work with using more concentrated heat and smaller welds .
The mig makes it easier for almost anyone to weld sheet metal , tubing and such .
The stick is still the most heavy duty and hardest to master for most people , but like everything else it's mostly practice and patience .
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by: DaveH
Ken, what's the pic of? Is it "dressing" of the weld on your mill? I'm asking 'cause it doesn't appear to be two pieces welded together.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: