Lathe Chuck Torque Wrench
On the Jet lathe, I have a Bison chuck with the 2 piece reversible jaws, when I change the jaw orientation, I want them to be tight. I found the little torque limiting wrench with a 3/8" drive, it has only one setting, 10 ft/lbs. So that what I've been using for the last year or so. I have absolutely no idea where came from, but I've checked this with 2 other torque wrenches and its dead nuts on. So it rest in the lathe tool drawer.

It says Seekonk Precision Tools on the handle

1 - the tool
2 - armed with the 8 mm allen bit
3 - in use

I fixed the neighbors lawnmower, today and had to switch the jaws and use it, so I thought I would show it to you guys.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:
Neat tool Jack. Thumbsup

Here's where you can get them from if anyone is interested.

http://www.seekonk.com/Prod-24-1-84-28/s...in-lbs.htm

Ed
Thanks given by:
I use a similar chuck on my lathe as well, and I applaud you for doing it the "right" way. Applaud

I have my fair share of torque wrenches but have to admit I've never taken the time to use one when reversing the jaws on my chuck. Just a couple of quick taps with a dead blow hammer on a hex wrench and I call it done. I'm not working on any aerospace components here on my cheap lathe. If I owned a CNC machining center I'm sure I would put more effort into it, but I don't. I don't expect that will change any time soon. Blush

[Image: th_716ffa.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Interesting assortment of torque wrenches Willie. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
10 ft. lbs. that's like a 10 lb. weight on a wrench 12 ins. from the centre of the nut/bolt right? I think I'd prefer a bit more torque to attach my chuck jaws. Something like a "a couple of quick taps with a dead blow hammer on a hex wrench. ".
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
the spec from instruction book is 10 to 14 ft/flbs
jack
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2014, 04:41 PM)EdK Wrote: Interesting assortment of torque wrenches Willie. Chin

Ed

That's the price you have to pay when turning wrenches for a living Ed. You need to have a lot of them because unfortunately one size does not fit all. Smiley-signs131

For some reason they haven't yet been able to invent a single torque wrench that can accurately tighten the tiny screws in an automatic transmission valve body to 6 inch pounds, and 230 foot pounds for the crank bolt on the same vehicle. Blink

That Craftsman beam type wrench at the bottom is the first torque wrench I ever bought. I think I was 14 years old at the time and had 3 different motorcycles completely torn apart to their bare frames sitting in my mom and dads basement. Got every one of them rebuilt and running again with no parts left over though. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
We had a monster one at work to set 600 foot pounds on the head of a perforating gun system.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: