Licking my Wounds Lathe Rebuild Project
All very good points, thankyou gentleman.

I have no real comparison on used machinery value, as I am not amongst any machinist friends neither hobbyist nor journeyman.

Please chime in here with reference to value:

$1700 lathe purchase (absolutely no accessories or tooling)
$500 gear repair
$300 chuck purchase
$250 motor purchase

Total:
2750 Canadian
2700 AUD
2600 USD
1900 EUR
1500 GBP
Billy....
Saskatchewan, Canada

Atlas 10x36
Lagun Republic 14x40
Cincinnati H Mill
Linde Mig
Miller Arc

Thanks given by:
Well broadly it's roughly equivalent to my Colchester Master 2500.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page17.html

These lathes in fair condition command over £3000 in the uk - an example:

http://www.traceymachinery.co.uk/lathes.htm

So money wise you are well in the lead Chin
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Bily,

As per your PM here is a picture of my Colchester Master 2500 levelling screw arrangement

Thanks given by:
(06-27-2014, 06:03 AM)awemawson Wrote: Bily,

As per your PM here is a picture of my Colchester Master 2500 levelling screw arrangement

thanks for the picture, you mentioned that the screw went onto/into a 6mm plate. is there just one large plate or just small "beer coaster" Smiley-eatdrink004 sized ones under each leg?
Billy....
Saskatchewan, Canada

Atlas 10x36
Lagun Republic 14x40
Cincinnati H Mill
Linde Mig
Miller Arc

Thanks given by:
Just a 100 mm square of about 6 mm plate to spread the load. I've seen many in factories where the screw bears directly on concrete, but I cannot believe they'll stay accurately level for long !
Thanks given by: BillyT
(06-27-2014, 07:29 AM)awemawson Wrote: I cannot believe they'll stay accurately level for long !
I agree, any vibration, for whatever cause, would cause "boring" into the weakest concrete at whatever point.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I have four bolts that have a chemical anchor fix them into the concrete on each of the 2 pedestals on my lathe. I shimmed the lathe at each point, so that the pedestal bares down on a solid footing.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I'm not at work now to check but I think one of the Lathes there may have been sat on anti vibration mounts.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Following on from my previous post, I took some pics that show the system I used. All pretty self explanatory and I'm sure that given the info you can use Google to get more info than I can provide. Basically, you use the hex driver to spin the thread and bust the capsule (mixing the epoxy). Once the epoxy is set, you can torque up the nut.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hay Mayhem,
How dose the epoxy compare to say red head anchor bolts?
I have been considering anchoring a bench down in my carport, it's asphalt and red heads won't stay put in asphalt.
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: