Looking at TIG welders
I have been thinking about a TIG and Plasma for the shop. I would like to find a rig that does both but that I think would be asking too much. I have a Lincoln MIG 175 that I have used for the last 10 years without so much as a burp. Looking for something in the same size. SO that brings me here to people that know more than me.
It will need to be able to weld stainless and aluminum so real AC is needed unless you know something I don’t know about. If it has a Plasma cutter would be a big plusRotfl. If it can do stick is a plus but not really needed.
I know I am going to get a lot of flak from this and may even start some fights over brand names… Please keep the replies to pro and cons.

I have a local shop that is where I plan on getting it and have been a return customer for over ten years. The shop has provide to our high school at cost with the latest and greatest every year from when I went there and is still do so today. When I bought the 175, it was lower than what I could get it anywhere else.

So let’s hear the recommendations.
outlawspeeder, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2014, 05:16 PM)outlawspeeder Wrote: I know I am going to get a lot of flak from this and may even start some fights over brand names…
There will be no flak or fights - that I can assure you.
You will however get opinions.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hay Dave how about some light hearted ribbing? Big Grin
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi Jerry,
My best answer is to quote from Ed's Introduction:

"Here you'll be treated with respect, tolerance and understanding in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Learning will be fun and a pleasure".

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Well..

They have you cornered for a slightly higher priced machine because you want to TIG weld aluminium. It’s the electronic card for brains you're paying for to pulse weld ally.. Miller do a small rig that’s a home shop size (Syncrowave) that does all Mig,Tig,Stic with AC Pulse control plus the kitchen sink, Lincoln have the same and prices are equal so I the quality. Around $2200 they will let you walk out the door with it.

You can Mig weld aluminium on your existing rig I believe, you just need the feeder sleeve and a different gun to hold the spool, 2Lbs spool works out at around $8 which is cheap. Mig Ally welding has come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. Spool guns are always for sale on Fleabays for cheap, remember the gun is full of consumables which are cheap to buy new.

I don’t know your skills, but Ally Tig welding needs slightly different skills and dexterity but quite easy to master given all the little tips and hints.

A plasma will need to be purchased separately to my knowledge, then again I would not be afraid to purchase on the second hand market due to the consumables are new from the store, not a lot to go wrong with the power rig it's pretty simple.

My opinion Mig welding Ally is all that’s needed in a home shop, but if your serious the rig I mentioned before will service your need for life, I have been welding for myself for years and over that time I have ploughed thousands into equipment, with new technology and computer reliability today if I had to start my shop for commercial use again it would take no more than $3500 that’s including all the extras and consumables.

Hope this helps.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Meh.... for Aluminum and Stainless steel, I do it with the power off. Oxygen Acetlyene welding. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1Srs_e1Aw

Note, over 0.125" thick, the TIG (Hobart 200) comes out. Under that the OA comes out. I've had lots of "skin issue" whacked off at the demotologist, basically due to UV exposure. With 120F in the shop (100F in Austin, metal building heats up) I prefer welding in t-shirt and shorts, which means OA for me on most days. TIG early morning (under 80F).

That is a very old school TIG. Nothing fancy, but those copper transformers with HF start is a nice soft flame for aluminum. I'm lusting after a 250 or 250DX machine, but till then it is a good machine.

Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Ha HA..
Tom
Welding partially naked, although appealing the thought maybe, the sister blisters will ravage you as you have eloquently described, Drool they make cooling shirts and jackets for that dilemma.

Flame welding is another method sure, but messy, tricky and increases your surrounding room temperature to which you have a problem with, thin plate will explode on you if you blink flame welding Ally, but is more than achievable. I just think its so nice to flip a switch aim and squeeze the trigger then stow away.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Even in temps over 40°C heat I wear long sleeves, and gloves to mig and stick weld.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2014, 05:14 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Even in temps over 40°C heat I wear long sleeves, and gloves to mig and stick weld.
Nothing else just long sleeves and gloves Rotfl that must be worth a pic Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Well, I gotta say I weld sleeveless, I'd rather a fire start on my arm (sh#t don't burn) than have my sleeve flaming away, unbeknownst to me, hidden by my welding mask/helmet
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: