Looking at TIG welders
(07-07-2014, 06:16 PM)roundrocktom Wrote: Meh.... for Aluminum and Stainless steel, I do it with the power off. Oxygen Acetlyene welding. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1Srs_e1Aw

Note, over 0.125" thick, the TIG (Hobart 200) comes out. Under that the OA comes out. I've had lots of "skin issue" whacked off at the demotologist, basically due to UV exposure. With 120F in the shop (100F in Austin, metal building heats up) I prefer welding in t-shirt and shorts, which means OA for me on most days. TIG early morning (under 80F).

That is a very old school TIG. Nothing fancy, but those copper transformers with HF start is a nice soft flame for aluminum. I'm lusting after a 250 or 250DX machine, but till then it is a good machine.

Tom

I never thought it was possible to gas weld stainless
John
Thanks given by:
You cannot gas weld (flame) stainless, the chromium breaks down, and its hard to get or wont get wet.

you can braze or solder it though, maybe he meant that.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2014, 05:18 PM)ieezitin Wrote: You cannot gas weld (flame) stainless, the chromium breaks down, and its hard to get or wont get wet.

you can braze or solder it though, maybe he meant that.

Anthony.

Don't tell my torch, it might think it can not be done. No luck with 400, but with 300 and the right flux, oh it can be done. 308 or 309 filler rod.

Went into a combo LWS/Hardware store down on the coast. Just curious what flux, rod, etc they carried. Explained I was looking for OA aluminum flux, got into a conversation with the owner who didn't think it was possible. Asked if he ever looked at a B17... all that aluminum welding was done by young women, with a day of training.... using a OA torch! He was told it was only possible to do it with a TIG! :) Guess how the stainless was welded. Oops. 75 years later it has gone from "we can do it, to I know they did it, to it is impossible to do it".

The one thing I haven't found.... Titanium Flux. Been searching for years, but the Russians have it, and do just that (look at a M14P radial engine). Very pretty manifold out of titanium tubing, all welded with a OA torch.

Back to the guys at the coast, there are a lot of boat owners with big fancy boats. Nasty salt water (lots of stainless and aluminum work), but hard to get a TIG out on a boat. Small OA bottles, little rod, right flux... I tell ya, I could retire and be busy till the end of my days with a little OA torch and "get 'er done". Personally I'd rather retire to Alaska, as if I get too lazy to chop firewood, I'd freeze to death. I plan to go out with my boots on, my Meco in my hand.

Tom
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Tom...

what flux do you use?

i will give it a try.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
One possibility to consider is an aluminum torch for your MIG. If you're planning on only welding structural aluminum the one I have for my Miller 180 works like a charm and sure was a lot less expensive than another welder. However I do not know if Lincoln makes a similar torch and if you're planning on welding thinner < .125" aluminum TIG is essentially the only way to go.

That said I bought an AC/DC stick welder with plans to use it as a power supply for a TIG set-up.

BTW, Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, etc all make good equipment as long as one stays away from the real low end stuff.
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2014, 04:40 PM)ieezitin Wrote: Tom...

what flux do you use?

i will give it a try.

Anthony.

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/stainles...ppli.php#1

Nice thing about OA welding, compared to TIG, is a little breeze is welcome. Nice to leave the shop doors open when welding. <grin>
MSDS sheet are your friend to figure out the highest methonal content industrial cleaner (We get stuff in Texas, that my brother can not locate in California)

Tom
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by: