Babit Bearings
Thats not a bad idea Terry. When I was a kid working at the local ski hill a pillow block ball bearing went out on the roller for packing the snow. Doug and I replaced that with oak and it never was changed out.
Was thinking of a roller chain drive from the steam engine to the shaft so absolute alignment isn't necessary.
never got a look at the original one Steve, too many other things to process but you could well be right.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, why not, I'm almost old enough to have worked on the first one.
Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2014, 05:33 PM)stevec Wrote: Greg, why not, I'm almost old enough to have worked on the first one.
Rotfl

Hey don't laugh, one of the chaps involved in this endeavour actually did. Scary thing is, after getting to know him he'll probably out work me.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Maple rots fast. Red oak rots fast, too and checks, plus has lots of tanin -- rusts steel quickly. White oak is better re. rot. But I'd go with black locust for wooden bearings if you've got it. Traditional shaft log bearings were lubricated with water.
Thanks given by:
Locust doesn't grow this far north but we have lots of white oak. Thats what we're using for the bottom planking and skids.
Greg
Thanks given by:
....and some of the earliest steam powered boats used lignum vitae bearings. A very hard, dense wood that has a SG greater than 1. In other words it is one of the few types of wood that cannot float. Shouldn't be too expensive from a furniture materials supplier or exotic wood supplier if the size of your bearing is not too big.
AllanC, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2014.
Thanks given by:
I somehow doubt if the originals used some exotic wood for the bearings or anything else, they just used what was available.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Greg, I don't have any locust growing here big enough to cut, or I'd send you some for bearings. But there's lots growing nearby -- I'll keep my eyes open. You can also get it from fence post dealers. I think white oak would work though. Locust would be ideal.
Thanks given by: