Jammed Bridgeportt ram
Hi All , this problem happened a good while back but I have just managed to get it fixed.
Well its an age since this problem was shelved due to other things getting done but I have finally solved the problem!.
I could not get the ram to shift with the sash clamps in the corner , I tried various anti seize releasing type oils etc but none worked so I had to eventually move the mill so I could get around it and also use a chain hoist to take the weight of the ram and milling and slotting head when I tried to get it free. Needless to say this was a right job in its self as I had it on a steel frame rawl bolted to the floor then concreted in etc.
Anyway once it was in place it was easier to keep winding the sash clamps back and forth even though they were keep trying to slip off and needed re setting every 3 inches etc, it was still seized tight so the clamps only just managed to slowly shift it back and forward.

This was the set up under the lifting hook and with the weight supported and the sash clamps on each side of the ram.

[Image: Mowerrepairs002.jpg]

[Image: Mowerrepairs003.jpg]

As you can see from this photo even with the ram fully forward then fully back it left a six inch section that never stuck out to be oiled, this must have been the stuck area as the sections that did stick out were spottless and oiled, as you can see in the second photo.

[Image: Mowerrepairs005.jpg]

[Image: Mowerrepairs007.jpg]

I had the rack and pinion removed and just kept jacking right forward then right back and oiled each time, still nothing improving, I then decided to lift the whole machine on the lifting eye so it was hanging off the ram in effect and the sash clamps were easier to operate, once it was fully at the back of the ram the machine tilted backwards so it was resting on the back corners , I then put light oil at the front of the dovetail and went for my tea hoping it would seep backwards with gravity.................... I replaced the pinion and it moved it an inch or so , so kept working and oiling it and all of a sudden its totally free and able to be moved via the proper lever with one hand easy.

So just a case of the oil dried out ? , it did used to work and once the oile had got under the dovetail again it was sorted. All I can say is if you have a bridgeport or similar mill is operate the ram back and forth every so often as this was a right hassle to get freed off.

After I was thinking I could have drilled the section of the ram that was sticking out from the side then up over and fitted an oil nipple then jacked the new nipples over the machine side of the dovetail and pumped oild between the two surfaces and this would have done the job I think as the problem seems to have been the weight of the ram is wiping the oil off as it goes back into the housing.
Anyway Job done................ I just have to re paint half the mill now lol.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Great post Mick, very helpful.

In nearly 40 years of working with that type of machine I've never encountered one stuck that badly. The worst one need two robust young men to give it a good shove, but that's as bad as I've ever seen (and I was one of those two young men at the time.)

I think that's one area where using the old formula Vactra 2 or similar way oil with the "tackifier" additives would be a no-no. Some with EP (extreme pressure) additives would be the better choice.
Thanks given by:
Helluva job Mick! cheers to your success. Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Good job I wish I had a mill like that well with a free moving head
mfletch, Try to do the best you can and that's good enough
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Mick, nice mill Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi
Mick
Pleased to hear you have it sorted
Every time you walk past the mill you will be moving the head in and out YikesYikesYikes
John
Thanks given by:
well dun mick
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Very nice and shiny machine!

Is there a second head off the back of the ram? Interesting set up, but hard to see without more photos.
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
It's a slotting head Tom. You can see it quite well in the first picture at the top of this page.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-22-2014, 08:21 AM)Mayhem Wrote: It's a slotting head Tom. You can see it quite well in the first picture at the top of this page.

Yup. Wish I had one on my Alliant mill, it would solve a LOT of broaching & slotting problems!
Thanks given by: