Coke Forge Build
Look'ing good Rob.
Are you going to line it with clay? Smithing is something I plan to delve into, time allowing. From what I've read you should coat the firebox and bottom of the forge with clay to protect it. Thought that was the reason the manufactured ones were cast iron, so they wouldn't burn.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi John Big Grin , yer first ting is to make two hooks to keep the workshop doors from flapin in the breeze .

Hi Greg , lol I no what you mean its took me 20 years to get this far Rotfl so much to do ,so little time Bash , not planning on lining the hearth or fire pot , if I were going at it full time I probably would , I have 1600c castable and fire bricks to hand , but this it just a wee hobby thing and I think it will take a fare wile to burn out .

Yes your correct the real i am ones are cast iron , they dont burn out as quick , but they do crack I have heard .

Regards Rob
Thanks given by:
(07-30-2014, 04:07 PM)RobWilson. Wrote: Hi John Big Grin , yer first ting is to make two hooks to keep the workshop doors from flapin in the breeze .

Hi f350ca , lol I no what you mean its took me 20 years to get this far Rotfl so much to do ,so little time Bash , not planning on lining the hearth or fire pot , if I were going at it full time I probably would , I have 1600c castable and fire bricks to hand , but this it just a wee hobby thing and I think it will take a fare wile to burn out .

Yes your correct the real i am ones are cast iron , they dont burn out as quick , but they do crack I have heard .

Regards Rob
Thanks given by:
My doors flap as well Mate DroolDroolDroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by:
Not only doors flap sometimes when casting Smiley-dancenana

Once I was casting bronze and managed to overturn the crucible - oh boy did that go a long way. All sorts of things started flapping Rotfl
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
(07-30-2014, 01:34 PM)RobWilson. Wrote: Cheers Lads

(07-30-2014, 07:11 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I have the same approach on a number of projects, including the wheel rim forge I made.

Any photos Darren Popcorn you do a bit smithing ?...

I thought I had a build post on here but I couldn't find it, so perhaps it is elsewhere. I don't actually do any smithing but there are times that I have needed something heating to bend or annealing and it's either too big for the oxy (or too expensive more to the point) and I haven't built my furnace yet, so annealing would be problematic. Also, I've used it to melt aluminium and lead.

It started out as an old split rim wheel that was sitting in my junk pile and is cobbled out of scrap and was a process of trial and error in terms of getting the air right. First attempt shot hot coals in the air Slaphead I use mainly scrap hardwood that I get for free as fuel. Here are a few pics and if there is any interest, I could probably start a new thread with a bit more info and pics.

Baffles over the stud holes direct air into the centre. Mesh stops hot bits falling and melting the vacuum hose and the cut outs allow long parts to be heated without fear of them rolling off.

Getting it up to temp slowly, waiting for the wood to break up a little. That is a hardened drill coupler in the middle waiting to be annealed.

A bit later in the process. I knew it was at the correct temp as my fridge magnet wouldn't stick to it. Well it did for a second before bursting into flames, melting and running off.

Into the ash bucket to be covered up and left to cool slowly.

A bit too much air Big Grin

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That looks exciting Darren Cool
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs107 Darren .

Aye more photos/thread if you please Big Grin , I have the same plan to cut down my oxy/acet use and use the forge for heating as a 25 /30 kg bag of coke is only £6 , I am also planning on making a gas (LPG) forge too heat up say the centre of a 5 ft bar ,long parts that will not fit the coke forge . A man cant have too many heat sources Rotfl

Hi Andrew , you got your induction furnace up and running ?

Cheers Rob
Thanks given by:
Funny you should ask about the induction furnace Rob, I was thinking it's getting nearer the top of the list only this morning when at last I got that hedge flail working on my tractor (Projects: Madmodder) :) [ http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,992...#msg111228 ]

Theoretically it's just a case of plumbing it back together and connecting up the 120 amp per phase 415 v three phase supply - I've even bought the cable to run the service, and built the fire proof building for it, but farming things keep getting in the way !
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
120 amp per phase 415 v three phase supply YikesYikesYikesYikesDroolDroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by: