Is this a good instrument holder and holder match
Guys is this a good match. A Noga and the Fowler indicator?

Would a Noga holder without the fine tuning feature be better?

Thanks for any help

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...A=326-1369

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...NO=8137956
tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by:
You can't go wrong getting a Noga holder. I have the one you linked to and it'll work fine for you.

Ed
Thanks given by: tackit
(07-21-2014, 09:36 AM)EdK Wrote: You can't go wrong getting a Noga holder. I have the one you linked to and it'll work fine for you.

Ed

Thanks Ed. The ones I use now are garbage.
Thanks given by:
I have that exact same setup. Both the Noga holder and the same Fowler indicator. I use them all of the time. You'll be happy with that combination.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I also have the same Noga holder, with "fine adjustment at top" (FAT) and it beats my two Starrett No.657's, handily.

I don't use a Fowler indicator though. I have a Starrett No.708 and an Interapid 312B-4, those get the job done well and the Starrett was cheaper than a Fowler because I bought used locally.
Thanks given by:
Pix Man I have a Lufkin set of two dial indicators and accessories in good condition in their box my dad gave me.... but I wanted one like the Fowler just because I don't have one like it and it bothers me not knowing how they are to work with... Rotfl

Check out this German made Mar from long Island indicator.com
http://www.longislandindicator.com/p235.html

You probably know they have a very informative website, good information for beginners to read.

After I build a new handle for my SIL's cultivator I'm going down in the basement and do some work on my small lathe. I hope the Noga will make it easier setting up the 4 jaw chuck.

Here's a pic of my 8 X 14 Chinese lathe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
If you're looking at getting a Fowler check out this page first:

http://www.longislandindicator.com/p37.html

As tackit says the Mahr is a good indicator and at a good price at the moment.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I got the Noga and Fowler instrument today, it's very nice holder, the Fowler gauge seems to work smoothly too. It made return to zero about 30 times, it works fine.

I got all the measuring tools I have out to see if which ones will fit the Noga holder, It won't hold the Lufkin but holds the Fowler 3/8 barrel but it won't hold the 3/8 white face gauge. 17428

I have to replace a belt and change blades on the Snapper and then I'm going to do some lathe work... I'm sure I won't have the holding problems I do with my other holders. I agree with you experts the Noga holder is a very nice tool.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
What I really like about my Noga like that one is that the arm does NOT move as you tighten it, and the fine adjustment is very positive too.
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2014, 10:35 PM)PixMan Wrote: What I really like about my Noga like that one is that the arm does NOT move as you tighten it, and the fine adjustment is very positive too.

It sure is a solid holder, I tried to make it move but it was as stable as could be.

Someday I'll get a top shelf indicator for it.

I'm still leaning the basics of machining, What upsets me most right now is I can't seem to cut a smooth surface.... I have to file and then use emery clothe to get a decent look.

When I see Tom's and you other guys work it destroys me. I use HSS bits thinking they are better for my small 8" lathe but nothing I do seems to work.
Thanks given by: