Is this a good instrument holder and holder match
That Compac is pretty cool looking with the dial at 90º to the movement. I don't know how practical it will be in use, but still rather unique.

The Tesa's are nice too, just gotta keep the tips on the correct ones because the different length tips are calibrated differently within the internal mechanism.
Thanks given by:
I bought the Compac at a show so it was a spur of the moment thing, I couldn't think about it and go back another day. At only £25 I thought it may come in handy one day. List price turned out to be around £200!
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I'm still in the not knowing what I'm doing stages of lathe work so any indicator that's halfway reliable is OK. I would be afraid of ruining a expensive one.

Guys
I'll get out steel rod I have, seems I mostly work with it. I have another day of finishing up small jobs around the place, cleaning my window fan, changing the water filter and clean the furnace filters and I'll be ready to give a holler. Smile
tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by:
Back to the surface finish issues. Tackit do you have a copy of South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe"? If not you should be able to find one on FleaBay as it has the best examples of turning tools one can find. Another excellent source of machining information is the US Navy's "Machinery Repairman 3 &2" which is available here: http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED203130

Happy machining

Stan
Thanks given by:
(07-26-2014, 10:31 PM)Mayhem Wrote: ...Back on topic now and I can see a Noga holder in my future. All I have is one of the Chinese ones with the locking knob on the joint between the two arms (same as the large one in the top left-hand photo you posted). I cost about the same as what you paid for the Noga and I cannot zero the dial on a DI/DTI without moving it, no matter how tight I lock it down Bash

I put together an order with Enco which included a Noga holder for a good price, only to encounter problems at checkout. I get an error saying that I cannot export the Noga holder as it's considered hazardous (because of the magnet). This is despite me specifying a delivery address somewhere in MA and checking the radio button to say the items are not being exported!

A few years ago a very helpful customer service guy setup an account for me that enabled me to have a billing address here in Australia and I then specify a delivery address in the US. Currently I am dealing with a different guy and trying to get him to resolve the issue. He wants me to get the order called through from within the US!

He was happy and able to put together an order for the remaining items, including the promo codes, so I have said that he should be able to include ALL the items, as I've never had issues before...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

I'd be happy to order it for you and ship it to Ken.

Ed
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Ed,

I appreciate the offer but I am going to see what Enco come back with.  It is a computer generated error that can be resolved by them and I am going to push the point with them.  This isn't a $20 order, it is a few hundred dollars (not all of it is for me) and I have been a repeat customer for several years.  

The previous guy I dealt with went out of his way to help me.  The guy I am dealing with now, didn't even read my initial email, as his instruction was to enter a US address as the shipping address.  Last time I looked, MA was in the US and correct me if I'm wrong, but it would have featured as a fairly prominent state during American History class.  He didn't read the email, nor did he look at the screen capture I attached (showing all the relevant details), he didn't even bother to look at my account Bash

I've got time, I don't fly out until the 20th...
Thanks given by:
KBC Tools had Noga mag bases on sale right now too, and they've shipped to me before so would you try them?
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ken - I'll check them out now.
Thanks given by: