Barrel Porting
Hey Guys!
I've been thinking again!Chin (oh no!) I was looking at some slow motion video of a bullet leaving the barrel. There was a lot of gas/particles escaping just before and coming around the bullet as it left the barrel. Here's my idea - Cutting small ports (similar to Magna-Porting) about 6" or so from the end of the barrel. This would vent the gas/particles at the last moment so it wouldn't have any effect on the bullet as it left the barrel. Does this gas and particles have any effect on bullet stability anyway? If so, someone would have though of this by now. (?)
kcraig514, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by:
The first couple of things that come to mind are a loss of bullet velocity and accuracy. If the ammo is well matched to the barrel the gases will still be expanding at that point and for the last six inches. Cutting ports back on the barrel will have the same effect on velocity as cutting the barrel shorter. Where accuracy is concerned I would be worried that the escaping gases will cause the barrel to "jump" downward while the bullet is still in the barrel and then have an affect on where the bullet goes.

JMHO and theory,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Makes sense. I also though when the gas vents and is no longer pushing the bullet, the inertia of the bullet traveling down the last six inches would "pull" the barrel forward possibly causing involuntary movement somewhat like accelerating in a car then letting off the throttle. You go from being pushed back to being pulled forward. IDK, just the ramblings of a semi-mad machinist!
kcraig514, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by: