replacement handle for garden cultivator
The handle broke on our cultivator so this one was built to replace the broken one.

The plate covering the back of the frame wasn't there, it was an open space so I fitted a 3/16 plate to have a solid surface to mount the 1 1/2" X 1/8" receiver tube to. The handle is 1 1/4" X .090 square tube.

The handles are made from 1" tube from a tread mill handle bar.... they are welded to a piece of 2" square tube that has one side cut off.

The handle feels very solid with no twisting or flexing, it should last a long time. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by:
Nice job!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: tackit
(07-25-2014, 08:09 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice job!

Thank you Mayhem. Smile
Thanks given by:
Looks good tackit, Does the cultivator propel itself only by the tangs or are the wheels driven too. What make is it? I've never seen one like it.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-26-2014, 06:06 AM)stevec Wrote: Looks good tackit, Does the cultivator propel itself only by the tangs or are the wheels driven too. What make is it? I've never seen one like it.

Steve it's an old Ariens 2 hp Briggs and Stratton powered machine. It's rotating tines pulls it along.

It's a pretty aggressive machine, it tears weeds up fast. It's on loan to the SIL since I can no longer walk very far, I'm thinkin' it cost around $400 way back in the early 90's.

It also has a hexagon shaft and notched circular blade accessory that slips into the center drive mechanism after the tines are removed for trimming sidewalks too.
Thanks given by:
tackit, mine's a troy built 5hp with the drive wheels in front of the tines.
You're right about aggressive, quite a work out for the old arms (still waaay better than a fork or a shovel!)
I'm thinking of making a remote (handlebar) disengagement device for the drive wheels, it takes ages to go from the shed to the gardens and back. Disengaging the drive wheels by the axle pins is a pain too!)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs107 tackit, looks nice and strong.Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: