Bushing or shimming material ideas needed
Hi,

I just joined! Smiley-eatdrink004 I am building a truck boat rack and hoist and need some help identifying some bushing or shimming material that I can use. Once I finish, I can put photos in the Projects section. The hoist boom has a vertical mast that rotates 90 degrees slowly. The boom is 6' and has a 100 lb load at the end.

The hoist mast is a 4' piece of stainless steel sch 80 2" pipe rotating inside 32" of stainless steel sch 40 2.5" pipe. When the 2" is put inside the 2.5", there is .094" play or about a .047" gap all the way around the inner pipe. This is from specs, not measured actual. This slop would not be a huge problem but it would be nice if it could be firmed up a bit with some kind of thin bushing or shim material. Of course, some kind of grease would also be used.

I know very little about what might perform well in this situation. All I can imagine is that someone may sell a thin (.035-.040) flexible nylon or Teflon sheet material where I could cut a rectangle and form it into a tube and push into the gap.

Do any of you have any other ideas or where you could buy small amounts of material like this?

thanks very much,
fred
Thanks given by:
McMaster carries both nylon and Teflon.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plasti...ts/=t1fou0

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Welcome, Fred!

I would think that if you go with plastics you'd want a really tough one such as Nylon. I have a 3" round of it and could quickly turn a shouldered bushing out of for you. I would just need a sketch with more exact sizes and tolerances.

Working from a sheet may not work so well because it wouldn't have a shoulder and could slip down into the bigger bore.
Thanks given by:
Thanks very much Ed and PixMan.

I'm going to first try some nylon I just ordered from McMaster. I do not have a way to verify my tolerances, so I ordered two sizes to try.

fred
Thanks given by: