Wade Turret Lathe
thats nice Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks raykehrhan and krv3000.

I have made a bit of progress since my last post.

I have stripped and painted the majority of it.  I reassembled the headstock replacing the rear bearing and thrust bearing.  The front precision bearing was wildly expensive to replace so I cleaned and reinstalled it.  Hoping for the best.

When I got the lathe the previous owner was using the rear drive mechanism and motor from an Atlas lathe.  A v-belt was being used over the flat belt pulley.  I was able to find a flat belt pulley from a South Bend lathe that had the same bore and replaced it. I now have an automotive serpentine belt that I installed while the spindle was out.  I replaced the motor with a Dayton 3/4hp DC variable speed motor that I found some time ago at the flea market.  I am waiting to find or make the right stand to get everything bolted down but I was able to test it and it seems like it is going to work well.

I bought a Hardinge cross slide on eBay that fits the lathe well.

The reason I think the lever cross slide is not original is that the base doesn't match the geometry of the bed. It has the same angles but if quite a bit wider.  It should still work when bolted down.  I have found a bit of information about this lathe but haven't found any pictures that match the turret or cross slide exactly.

Interestingly, I found a badge under several coats of paint the indicate it was once used in the Eagle Lock Factory.

I still have a bit of work to do to get the collet closer functioning and need to make a a few missing parts.

Input is alway appreciated, Thanks!

James

12" Atlas Lathe  - Rockwell 21-100 Vertical Mill - Burke #4 Horizontal Mill
Thanks given by: