Project Spin Indexer Tailstock
(12-26-2014, 09:41 PM)f350ca Wrote: Good to hear, I've always had them in a solid housing, wondered if they'd spring unsupported, good to know for future designs. Thanks

They can't really spring because the clamp screw shaft runs through them both so they are tied together. And with both ends supported in the walls of the body it prevents them from lifting. Also the top is countersunk into the body and clears the brass clamps by about .020" so it would add a bit of support if it did spring. Originally I was going to put a channel in the top that the brass pieces would fit in for support but I don't think there's any need for that. I can always make a new top if it becomes a problem.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Great job Ed. Thumbsup
The only concerns I'd have about the height of the hold down lugs is, with the "T bolts" and their nuts being that high they could attack your knuckles/fingers when you lock the spindle turning that pretty fluted knob.
Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: EdK
(12-27-2014, 07:58 AM)stevec Wrote: Great job Ed. Thumbsup
The only concerns I'd have about the height of the hold down lugs is, with the "T bolts" and their nuts being that high they could attack your knuckles/fingers when you lock the spindle turning that pretty fluted knob.
Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

Thanks Steve.
I also have that concern about the knuckles getting dinged up by the T-bolt so I bought a couple that are just long enough so they don't stick out of the nut. I would think that there is less chance of flex with the anchor point up close to the arbor, but I'm no mechanical engineer so I may be all wrong.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-26-2014, 09:37 PM)EdK Wrote:
(12-26-2014, 07:51 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Top job Ed.  I'm guessing the two lugs are to bolt it to the table.  If so, I'm curious as to why they are not lower down.

I don't know why the designer has them at that height. But I'm not sure there's any advantage to having them lower, unless I'm missing something.  Chin

Ed

OK, I do know why it's sitting at the height it's at. I looked at the drawings to refresh my memory and the key for the table goes up into the body. There's 1/8" between the key and the hold-down piece.

Ed
Thanks given by:
no reason to do it now, but the alignment bar could have a half moon cut in it to allow the hold down bar to sit lower, the alignment bar only has to fit the table slot so there's no pressure on it. and to get as low as possible you could also notch the hold down bar to allow the alignment bar so that both bars would saddle together.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(12-27-2014, 11:01 AM)dallen Wrote: no reason to do it now, but the alignment bar could have a half moon cut in it to allow the hold down bar to sit lower, the alignment bar only has to fit the table slot so there's no pressure on it. and to get as low as possible you could also notch the hold down bar to allow the alignment bar so that both bars would saddle together.

The hold down bar already has a notch in it to clear the screw so notching it to clear the key wouldn't leave much meat left. I still don't see the advantage of lowering it other than for possible knuckle clearance.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice job Ed, looks good Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Smiley-signs009

Steve
Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks Ed, I didn't notice the alignment bar previously.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: