Project Spin Indexer Tailstock
Looking good, Ed! How are you going to do the .125" radius fillets? You can probably do it on your spindexer if you're careful with the 24º increments, or send it to me and I'll do it with my yet-to-be-used Walter dividing head. Happy to do it for you!
Thanks given by: EdK
(10-27-2014, 09:43 PM)PixMan Wrote: Looking good, Ed! How are you going to do the .125" radius fillets? You can probably do it on your spindexer if you're careful with the 24º increments, or send it to me and I'll do it with my yet-to-be-used Walter dividing head. Happy to do it for you!

Ken,

Thanks for the offer. I do that sort of thing with my spin indexer since it can be adjusted in 1 degree increments. I'll be using a 1/4" ball end mill. I've done this before on smaller knobs. I don't have a knurling tool yet so I do the scallops instead to add some grip to the knob. A knurling tool is on the long list of projects but it hasn't percolated to the top yet.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2014, 05:28 AM)EdK Wrote:  I don't have a knurling tool yet so I do the scallops instead to add some grip to the knob. A knurling tool is on the long list of projects but it hasn't percolated to the top yet.

Ed

Ed, didn't you get one with your QCTP?  17428

[Image: 0904377-11.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2014, 06:55 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 05:28 AM)EdK Wrote:  I don't have a knurling tool yet so I do the scallops instead to add some grip to the knob. A knurling tool is on the long list of projects but it hasn't percolated to the top yet.

Ed

Ed, didn't you get one with your QCTP?  17428

[Image: 0904377-11.jpg]

Yes, but it's a POS. Bash

Ed
Thanks given by:
Rotfl  Rotfl  Rotfl 

True that.

So you DO have one, just not a GOOD one. Sounds like a lot of my tools. I think I have 3 different knurling tools, and they are all a POS.  Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2014, 04:01 PM)Highpower Wrote: Rotfl  Rotfl  Rotfl 

True that.

So you DO have one, just not a GOOD one. Sounds like a lot of my tools. I think I have 3 different knurling tools, and they are all a POS.  Big Grin

Yup, but I use it as a tool holder rather than a knurler so it's not totally worthless. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Got'r done.

Now on to boring out the holes in the body.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Nice knob Ed! (don't anyone dare to misinterpret that!) I was worried that the many small dia indents would be as good as fewer larger, deeper ones would be.
BTW, I received one each of those "gnarling" tools with each of my QCTPs, I just cut the knurl part off and then refinished the tool groove to my requirements and got two more QCTP tool holders.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(11-01-2014, 12:35 PM)stevec Wrote: Nice knob Ed! ...

Thanks Steve, I'm kind of proud of my knob.  Yikes

stevec Wrote:I was worried that the many small  dia indents would be as good as fewer  larger, deeper ones would be.

I started wondering about that also as I was milling the indents. But since I changed to a split cotter clamp I think I'll be OK. If not, I can always make the indents larger.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Finally getting back to this project. I've drilled the hole in the body for the arbor to 3/4". That's my largest drill bit. Now I need to bore it to size which is .930". The body is 3.25" in diameter aluminum with a .375" wall thickness. I need to bore all the way through both walls to the .930" dimension. I've got one of those boring bars that uses a 3/16" square steel tool bit (see image below). One end has the tool bit at 90 degrees and the other end has it at 45 degrees. The length of the boring bar is 9". Way too long to use in the boring head so I was thinking of cutting the bar down to about 5" to use in the boring head and use the end with the bit at 45 degrees. Sound like a good plan?

Ed

Thanks given by: