Project Spin Indexer Tailstock
If that's all you have, sounds like a plan.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(11-26-2014, 05:04 PM)dallen Wrote: If that's all you have, sounds like a plan.

It's not the only boring bar I have but it's the only one I'm willing to cut to length for the job.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I don't think I've ever used the 45deg end on one of those bars, guess its to get the cutter to a shoulder. The 90 deg hole makes grinding easier for me, don't have to take the tool's angle into account. Do you not have a set of the carbide tipped boring bars, (come on) , I use them pretty much exclusively in the burring head. Cheap and cheerful Chinese but seam to hold up reasonably well.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(11-26-2014, 06:03 PM)f350ca Wrote: ... Do you not have a set of the carbide tipped boring bars, ...

I have a set but none that are even close to being long enough to bore 3.25" deep.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'd have to check my set, thought some were at least that long. HUM
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(11-26-2014, 09:02 PM)f350ca Wrote: I'd have to check my set, thought some were at least that long. HUM

Same here. 
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
My longest Chinese, carbide tipped boring bar is 4.5" from it's 3/4 Dia. shank.

But Ed, can't you slide your boring bar into your QC holder to the length you need? 17428

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(11-27-2014, 07:50 AM)stevec Wrote: My longest Chinese, carbide tipped boring bar is 4.5" from it's 3/4 Dia. shank.

But Ed, can't you slide your boring bar into your QC holder to the length you need? 17428

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

Steve,

It's set up in the mill not the lathe. My boring head takes 1/2" shank tools and I haven't seen any of the carbide tipped Chinese boring tools with 1/2" shanks that will bore that deep.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Rather than cut up your boring bar(s), maybe mill a pocket on the side of a piece of round stock and attach a carbide insert? You could make it any length and diameter you want. Just trying to think of other options you have on hand....
Willie
Thanks given by:
I have one I can loan you
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: