Buying sight unseen?
Ok here is my dilemma, I would like to replace my SB9b lathe and buy a slightly larger lathe with a QCGB. I have found a lathe and the owner is willing to either hold it for me or even deliver it for the cost of fuel. Problem is with work I am unable to drive the three hours to see the lathe in person. From the photos it would appear to be in good condition albeit a bit dirty (it has sat unused for 7 years) the bed ways are flame hardened and I doubt they will be in much worse shape that my 1950 vintage SB. I should be able to sell the SB for close to what the seller is asking for the Standard Modern so money isn't an issue. The Standard Modern has a 3 phase 240v motor so its a perfect candidate for a VFD as well. Someone tell me I'm crazy for considering this. Chin

[Image: image.jpg]

I will be the first to admit this is just metal illness causing me to consider the swap, here is what I will be replacing.

[Image: image.jpg]

Cheers
Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Shawn, I would buy that Standard Modern in a heartbeat.
Do you think he'd deliver it to NS for just the cost of the gas?
I have nothing against the South Bend but with what you could get I would say SB stands for "Should Be replaced".
Ideally you get the SM, get it set up and running with the VFD and assess it's operation while you still have the SB.

Then sell the SB. (or not, the only thing better than one lathe is 2 of them). Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I'd go have a look at it unless it's stupid cheap and you can afford to take that loss.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't hesitate to make that swap, they look to be in about the same condition other than your brilliant paint job on the South Bend.

I think you could swap out the QCTP from your current machine to that one.
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2014, 02:14 PM)12345678910 Wrote: I'd go have a look at it unless it's stupid cheap and you can afford to take that loss.

?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That's exactly what I was thinking guys. Keep the SB until I get the SM setup and running and then tell myself I will eventually sell the SB and keep it as well ? actually I don't think I will have room in my shop for three lathes so the SB might have to go anyways. I couldn't believe the fellow was willing to deliver the lathe but he doesn't seem to know a great deal about it so I will probably have him store it until I can get down to facilitate the move myself. The fellow bought a small machine shop intending to get into metalworking and never did.
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
It looks reasonable, paint where it should be so probably not a huge amount of use. Could have been abused but if he's willing to deliver it it can't be too bad. I bought two lathes sight unseen. The Colchester was on a government auction, it was worn but probably would have bought it anyway and the Summit was sight unseen and had to have it trucked up from Oklahoma, but it was new.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
All I can say is, grab it!
Thanks given by:
Hey, Shawn. Where is it located? 3 hours from you could be farther from here, but it could also be closer to here. If it is, I could possibly scope it out for you.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Why not keep both , it's hard to have too many tools , If money is not the problem , here is a great opportunity to add another lathe . This is like sex to an old machinist !
If on the other hand you just want a " bigger one " , welcome to the club , we are thinking of getting hats next year,maybe shirts too.
kenne, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by: