Buying sight unseen?
(08-05-2014, 08:38 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: Hey, Shawn. Where is it located? 3 hours from you could be farther from here, but it could also be closer to here. If it is, I could possibly scope it out for you.

Thanks for the kind offer Mike but its down in Langley, same deal holds for you to if ya ever need something looked at up in my neck of the woods. I'm surprised it's not sold already but I think the three phase scares of a few hobbyist. I'm going to give the fellow a call tomorrow and give him some money to hold it until I can pick it up in a few weeks. If I get there and there is some major issue that I can't live with I'm either out the deposit or the guy sees fit to give it back to me. Seemed like a really nice chap on the phone so not much of a risk I don't think. It is an affliction though...buying machine tools.

P.s if you don't mind sending me your address again Mike I got a few more large slitting blades that will fit your mill, found them in the bottom of a drawer the other day. Nothing I own will ever be big enough to put them to use, if ya don't want them that's cool too. I remember you saying you got horizontal milling cutters coming out your wazoo.

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Shawn - it sounds to me like you have arrived at the correct decision. If you don't have to sell the SB to finance it then you are not going to lose out in terms of being under tooled. At the end of the day, you could always sell it if you find it not to your liking.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Shawn, I realized you already have 2 lathes. Still doesn't change my opinion of "go for it".
Sounds like you've got a good plan.
We'll be looking forward to pics once you get it home. Thumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I had been thinking of selling the Hercus (same as SB9A), since I do everything on the big lathe now. While I was working on the collet chuck, I used the Hercus to make the nut. It does a really good job on finish. Might just have to keep it, unless I need the space for something new.

Thanks, Shawn. Always up for more slitting blades. Some of the ones I got with the Victoria have teeth broken off.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
I'll be a couple of weeks before I can drop the cutters in the mail Mike, were working long hours for a bit yet. We got down to Peachland tonight but only as a communication platform for the two groups already working. Luckily the downslope winds we had there a few years ago during the last Peachland fire didn't show tonight as the temps dropped. There is a nice looking Hercus for sale on Kijiji in Penticton, from the photos it would appear to be in good shape. My gut tells me that the Standard Modern needs to find a spot in my shop though.

Cheers
Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Yeah. You already have a 9". Bigger is definitely the way to go.

Been quite the summer. Job security.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: