Reading temperatures
Artie does your Fluke have a temp range?
Thanks given by:
(08-17-2014, 07:02 PM)vtsteam Wrote: Artie does your Fluke have a temp range?
Hi vtsteam, its a fluke 170 so yes it does, BUT, after digging it out, I realise it reads up to 400° C that's not much good.... but I've now got a small digital readout for the thermocouple on its way... again, almost no money, which can handle the required temps....

Apparently doing your homework is a good idea....Blush
Artie, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 1962.
Thanks given by:
    this is a rig I put together after I was given the Fluke Temp unit, it will handle two probes at the same time with dual readouts, it also reads to the max of a K-type probe which is around 2250 F.

I ordered up a 12" long replacement thermalcouple probe element and some 5/8" gouging rods that I drilled a 9/32" hole 11.5 inches deep in to make a sheath for the element. I them put on a plug and rigged up an extension cord out of some K type wire and plugs that I had laying around.

the unit.

Drilled Carbon Gouging rods, these don't work too well in a kiln which you don't need the cover in anyway.

Purchased replacement probe that was left in the Exhaust port of the furnace while melting iron, it stopped working somewhere around 2400 F.
Note End of probe, its made out of Graphite.

Melted Ceramic Insulators on Mifco Probe.

you can use this same replacement element coupled to a millivolt meter and a conversion chart that can be downloaded from the internet to read temperature with. to get the most accurate reading with a homemade setup you need to figurer out what the cold junction conversion is..

The Fluke unit is a 52 II Thermometer.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: