Mill stand for ENCO 45 clone
I did not want to use the ENCO stand as many people thought it was too short and not of good quality. After some internet research I designed the stand using SolidWorks. This is the third version that I ended up going with.

Here is a shot without the top and shelf's showing the tube construction.

The tubing is 2x2x120" wall, it took 2 20' sticks to do the frame. I built 2 sides flat on the table then connected them. This helped get the frame square and reduced weld induced warp. The shelf's were stitch welded to the frame, again to reduce the warp from welding. Here you can see the stitch weld layout.

You can never have too many clamps.

Next the top was set into place. I added two channels to reinforce the top for the weight of the mill.

I did the final welding on the floor so I could roll the stand to get to the weld underneath. The mill mounting holes were drilled next and then into the paint booth. I used inexpensive car paint so I could get a good match to the mill's color. I tool the inspection plate off the back of the column and the paint supplier mixed up a quart. Here is the finished stand just before hoisting the mill into position.

The total cost was less than the ENCO stand not counting shipping so it was will worth the effort.
Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Dan,

A very well made stand you have there Smiley-signs107
Nice welds.
What welder (type) do you use?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave,
I used my MIG welder, an older Century 160 amp that I got about 24 yrs ago. I think they were made by Lincoln but I am not sure. It's a good welder but big compared to modern day versions. Here's a pic

I also have a Lincoln Tig which I use for thinner material or other than mild steel. The tig would have taken a very long time to weld the stand compared to the mig. Here is a mig shot (one of the better)

Thanks given by:
Thanks Dan,

I'm going to have another look at this welding "lark"

I have a "stick" welder and it doesn't like me much, mind you the feeling is mutual Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice work Dan. Did you consider enclosing the back/sides and adding a door? This way you can store stuff without covering it in chips.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Dan,

Very nice job at showing the construction of your mill stand. I wish I could make welds like you can. I guess I never will be able to unless I get my butt out to the garage and practice some more. Whip

Ed
Thanks given by:
Your right Ed, lots of practice. You tube videos are a great way to learn also. Seeing what a correct weld looks like under the hood has been a great help. For me, part of the fun is the learning processs. That was one of the reasons I just got me lathe and mill. Last weekend I learned how to read a micrometer and practiced turning to a specific diameter up to a shoulder. Ya got ta start somewhereSmile

I look forward to my first real project but I have alot to learn first.

Dan
Thanks given by:
HI dan ooo my favret culer well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice stand Dan, come up well.
Mig is the way to go these days, the ark is still good for the remote jobs, but I usually use my little 160 amp gas/gasless for that now as well.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Nicely shown Dave
I do like to see a good weld
I cant see your stand giving much trouble with stabilityRotflRotfl
John
Thanks given by: