DRO Installation - Storebro Lathe
It looks like we haven't had a DRO post since http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...al+Readout back in 2012, so I'll throw this one in.

I had installed iGaging DROs on the carriage, crossfeed and tailstock on the Storebro lathe since the dials on the lathe were metric (3 mm per turn). They were a great help, but the longitudinal DRO started acting up. It would run away, counting up a hundred or so inches when nothing was moving. I finally ordered a two-axis set from Singapore - looks like the same ones featured in the above link.

I did the crossfeed scale first. It's a fair bit bulkier than the iGaging one, but I did order the 'slim' one for that location. I lose about 1/2" of over-the-carriage radius with it. I can always remove it if I ever have to turn an 11 1/2" cylinder. Yikes

I got the longest scale they carry in the 'standard' size - 920 mm travel. One of the nice things about the Storebro is the squared off arms on the carriage. Makes it easy to attach things. I re-used the holes that the old reader was fastened to. The kit comes with some very solid aluminum brackets.

At the headstock end, I used an extended bracket to place the mounting point past the removable section of the bed. I can't see ever opening the gap, but I didn't want to attach anything to it.

The tailstock end was shimmed out and bolted directly to the frame.

The long scale was finished off with the supplied shield.

I have a shelf unit set up as a backboard behind the lathe. It made a good place to mount the display.

There are a few features in this system that I'm going to like. There is an error compensation facility to improve accuracy, and a system for measuring angles. You can also select between display in radius or diameter for the crossfeed.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice job Mike. I recently finished putting the same DRO on my lathe. I didn't start a new thread, as I included it in the one I have on the ongoing rebuild/repair.

I had to mount the cross slide scale the same way you did but I was lucky that I didn't lose any swing capacity as a result.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice Hawkeye, both of you guys did a nice DRO installs.
tackit, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2014.
Thanks given by: Mayhem