Making a Trap Stock for a Remington 870
My son and his fiancee put a bid on a house this week, so we spent most of Saturday checking it out and getting it inspected. It's a small house on about five acres with a huge 130 year old barn on the property. The main part is 40' x 50' and the rear section is about 40' x 60', both section are two levels. The second floor of the rear section is the hay loft and is completely open. The front section is the older original part and is starting to show its age. It'll require some cabling to stabilize so if he ends up buying it, I'll probably be doing some structural engineering.

Anyway, I only had this afternoon to work on the stock, but did get most of the final fitting and shaping finished. Unfortunately I had a slip with the belt sander and took a little too much off around one side of the receiver, so I had to tweak the inletting a bit to get some wood back. Anyway, it's all fixed now and all that is left is the final sanding, then I can start on the fore end. Most of the intricate shaping, like around the grip and the thumb relief on top was done with a round and half round bastard cut file.

The contour isn't quite right yet behind the trigger guard, so that will require a bit more work. I'm still looking for pink plastic sheet to replace the white spacers, but am having zero luck.
[Image: IMAG0409.jpg]

The rear of the cheek rest falls up just behind her ear when she brings the gun up.
[Image: IMAG0411.jpg]

It's kind of hard to see, but the front of the cheek rest has an angled relief to clear her thumb on the grip, so everything feels natural when the gun is shouldered. A lot of thing have to work right to be able to hit a 4" diameter clay going 45 to 60 mph.
[Image: IMAG04121.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Making a Trap Stock for a Remington 870 - by TomG - 09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Making a Trap Stock for a Remington 870 - by TomG - 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM