Making a Trap Stock for a Remington 870
(09-17-2014, 07:00 AM)TomG Wrote: ..Supposedly tung oil will feel sticky on a stock when handled on a warm day...

Do you get warm days in MI Tom?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Very nice Tom Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Per the manufacturer.

Unique blend of linseed and natural oils dries fast and will not cloud, yellow or crack with age.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-17-2014, 08:43 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 07:00 AM)TomG Wrote: ..Supposedly tung oil will feel sticky on a stock when handled on a warm day...

Do you get warm days in MI Tom?

Not lately Darren. I left the door open in the bedroom last night and woke up with both dogs on the bed, shivering.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
So it's coming together. It has three coats of oil on now and the grain is starting to fill in. As soon as that happens I'll be able to wet sand and get it all nice and flat. The satin finish needs a bit of work as well. This is just 0000# steel wool buffed with a rag. The pink spacers didn't go over as well as expected. Everyone else loved them but she wasn't as excited. I'll try milling them thinner and see how she reacts but otherwise it's back to white. Chin

[Image: IMAG0420.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It looks great Tom but I'm with Marty on this one. I think the white spacers will look better. The pink detracts from the grain.

Perhaps you could put them on the Stevens :ROTFL:
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-18-2014, 08:05 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Perhaps you could put them on the Stevens :ROTFL:

Sacrilege!!! Bleh
Willie
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't be the first use of pink on a firearm. I know SIG makes a pistol with a pink polymer frame and Federal makes pink target loads. Yikes
Thanks given by:
Yep, lots of pink and "hello kitty" firearms available these days. I'm all for them if it helps to get more wimmens interested in the shooting sports. But an old classic like the "Favorite" in pink? That should be a crime. Rotfl

Dangit Tom, you got me to thinking about my dad's old Stevens 820 again and how much I hate it's Tenite furniture. It doesn't fit me and there wasn't anything I could do about it.... until now. I've been searching for a used wood stock for years with no luck. They are like hen's teeth. Today I discovered Boyd's finally started making a walnut stock for it. I can fix it now! Smiley-dancenana

Somehow looking at the projects posted here always ends up costing me money for some reason. 17428 Slaphead
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-17-2014, 09:18 PM)TomG Wrote: ...The pink spacers didn't go over as well as expected. Everyone else loved them but she wasn't as excited. I'll try milling them thinner and see how she reacts but otherwise it's back to white. Chin

Tom,

How about a white-black-white PVC laminate like this?

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Sup...rials.html

I may have some I could spare for your project. I know for sure I have black-white-black also.

Ed
Thanks given by: