Help Welding a Welder Cart
(09-19-2012, 05:59 PM)stevec Wrote: Oh jeez! another crutch, thank you.

heck I don't need a crutch I need the whole ambulance and crew at times Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
There are a few reasons for the clear lenses on both sides of the glass, there should be three clears in total, one on each side of the green glass and a third as a safety shield under the flip up lens, to guard against flying flux or scale when the lens is flipped up, so effectively to act as safety goggles or glasses when chipping slag, the lens on the front of green glass is to protect from spatter, and the clear lens on the back of the green lens protects the back of the green lens from spatter as well but primarily from impact as the green glass is very brittle and if the flipper is up and a large piece of flying debris from a grinder or a piece of large slag or chipping hammer fragment hits the lens from the back it will be easily broken.

Regards
Rick,

Laser eyes surgery, yes I'd definately give it a go if I was to end up with eyes that could shoot Laser beams, I mean how handy would that be?
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(09-19-2012, 05:34 PM)Highpower Wrote: They are available in many different diopters - sort of like the cheap reading glasses you find at the drug store. Most welding helmets have a recessed area behind (or in front of) the welding lens, underneath the protector sheet that the cheater fits into. So your "eyeglasses" are then a part of the welding helmet. Thumbsup

So I assume the cheater lenses are helmet specific and not a standard size where one fits all. Is that correct?

I'll have to check my helmet and see if it has the recess for the cheater lens.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I think the 2X4 lens is pretty much the standard for modern helmets.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-21-2012, 07:07 AM)stevec Wrote: OK, live and learn, the increase from .025 to .030 is about 25% I wouldn't have thought it would make THAT much difference.
Guess I'll put a roll of .030 on my list for my next trip to town (in NS, the land of you can't get it here)

Its like stick electrodes going from 3/32 to 1/8, not much difference in size but a different beast when welding them...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 06:52 AM)aametalmaster Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 07:07 AM)stevec Wrote: OK, live and learn, the increase from .025 to .030 is about 25% I wouldn't have thought it would make THAT much difference.
Guess I'll put a roll of .030 on my list for my next trip to town (in NS, the land of you can't get it here)

Its like stick electrodes going from 3/32 to 1/8, not much difference in size but a different beast when welding them...Bob
I agree about the sticks Bob. But I found fault with the math in the first quote. I believe the dummy meant 20% increase not 25%.
(Hey, I was/am that dummy!Slaphead)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Bump. Welding cart is on the list for this summers projects.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I don't think you have Summer where you live - Big Grin 
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, good point Dave. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2015, 08:01 PM)EdK Wrote: Hmmm, good point Dave.  Chin

Ed

will it be done before the Lutefish celebration??
jack
Thanks given by: