Help Welding a Welder Cart
If your welder will handle it try a small spool of .035. The only time I use .025 is for sheet metal.
Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(04-20-2012, 06:40 PM)stevec Wrote: I share Ed's question. I'm new to wire feed welding ( being an old stick welder) and can't fathom much differefnce between .025" and .030" wire. Is there that much difference in the mass of .030 and .025 wire/

Hi Steve,
I think the mass (per unit length) difference is about 40% which is quite a bit Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi
You can get more amps through a thicker wire
The differance between 0.6 & 0.8mm is massive
John
Thanks given by:
Dave, I find the difference between .O25 and .030 to be 25% greater. 40% would give you .035 wire.
Greg, OK now I've got to add .035 wire to the list.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

Get a roll of each. That's what I did since I know squat about welding and figured I might as well have each size on hand.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Steve I'd skip the .03, I've never used it. .025 for the really thin stuff then burn it in with .035.
Oh .025 - .030 is 20% by the way.
Greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,

At what thickness steel would you start using .035 at?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
I always have .035 in the machine, only switch it and the gas that has the oxygen in it out to weld 16 gauge and below. 10 and 12 gauge would be fine with the .025 probably beter but not worth switching for. I get occasional blow troughs on 12 gauge if I hesitate or don't have a perfect fit up but blame that more on the gas. The 2% oxygen makes the arc a LOT hotter.
Greg
Greg
Thanks given by:
(04-21-2012, 11:56 AM)stevec Wrote: Dave, I find the difference between .O25 and .030 to be 25% greater. 40% would give you .035 wire.
Greg, OK now I've got to add .035 wire to the list.
Steve,
I think you are referring to the diameter increase of the wire.
I was referring to the mass increase of the wire.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Duh! Your right Dave, I was thinking dia. Its the area that matters, 40% increase to .03 , 90% increase when you go to .035 . So guess you'd need twice the current to maintain the arc, assuming the same voltage and wire speed. Like I said my machine sets those for me. Do you keep the voltage and wire speed the same or adjust for wire size. Assuming your welding the same material?
Greg
Thanks given by: