I can see again!
(09-22-2014, 09:24 AM)Shawn Wrote: I am a member at a foam builders site that has tons of free plans but me being me I had to build one from scratch this summer. It flew great just not in my hands.

Nice Shawn.

I got to where I could hover the thing at eye level, but that was a couple years ago. It would take some practice to get back to that point. I'm currently building a quadcopter and am just about to the point of a test flight. It scares the hell out of me though because it's kind of like an open air blender, definitely not something to take lightly.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Did you also change out the starters Greg?

I got given two new tubes and starters for the fixtures we use in the operating theatres, which I installed directly above my lathe. The tech I got them from told me that you should always change the starter when you change the tube and that the started should be matched to the tube.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
All of our ballasts are self starting around here Darren, I haven't seen a starter in years. The new solid state ones are high frequency so they start instantly without the characteristic blink of the older fluorescent lights. It's kind of weird to turn them on and have the whole room light instantly.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Yes solid state is the way to go but I haven't been given any yet Big Grin Besides, the government is never going to rip out every fluro in every public hospital to upgrade, so I'll stick with the old school battens for now...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-22-2014, 09:26 AM)TomG Wrote: That's possible Greg. I had several ballasts that failed and all were weak. The new solid state ballasts are much more efficient anyway so that a good excuse in itself to change them out. The T8 bulbs will fit the T12 fixtures, so you could just shotgun the ballasts and re-use the fixtures. I think solid state ballasts are about $15.

Tom

Just checked $25 for your neighbour to the north. Isn't this free trade thing great.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, I hear ya, but often you can get the whole 2 tube 48" fixture for around 25 bucks. (sans bulbs, of course.)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately I need the fixtures with no shades for the overhead crane to clear, and they never seem to go on sale.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-22-2014, 12:36 PM)f350ca Wrote:
(09-22-2014, 09:26 AM)TomG Wrote: That's possible Greg. I had several ballasts that failed and all were weak. The new solid state ballasts are much more efficient anyway so that a good excuse in itself to change them out. The T8 bulbs will fit the T12 fixtures, so you could just shotgun the ballasts and re-use the fixtures. I think solid state ballasts are about $15.

Tom

Just checked $25 for your neighbour to the north. Isn't this free trade thing great.

Have you tried Amazon? There are a bunch of them in the $12-$18 range. Bulbs are cheaper too.
Thanks given by:
"Have you tried Amazon? There are a bunch of them in the $12-$18 range. Bulbs are cheaper too. "
Tom,
I tried Amazon and found "PES 2 Lamps Fluorescent Electronic Ballast, 120V, # PES120ET8-12SMT " $17.99 ea.
I tried to order to see what the total cost would be and selected 2 to get a price break.
Total including shipping and import costs came to  $52.25 so I cancelled (I think).
Amazon.ca doesn't have a very good search function and the pages of different descriptions for (electronic ballasts) included
all sorts of fluorescent items so I couldn't find anything similar to the above.
Ah! free trade!

P.S. Ed, I tried the quote button to quote tom but nothing happened, must be different than the old system?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-22-2014, 06:00 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Ken - I'm sure the visitor from down under could help you with your lighting upgrade...

Much appreciate help but that doesn't mean I can afford all the fixtures and wiring.

Thanks though!
Thanks given by: