Making a new drive block for the Scotch Yoke
Nice video
A shaper is good to watch
"proper" machining
Much better than 10,000 rpm and flood coolant
John
Thanks given by:
Dallen, the block machined beautifully, the skin with some occulusions was quite thin and the material underneath was beautiful. I have enough left over for the gibs on the unimat so that's great.

The Douglas has been working hard cleaning up some unknown steel (like the piece in the video) as well as a large piece of hot rolled plate that I have managed to cut up on my bandsaw into manageable chunks. The plate steel is pretty ugly looking (rust and mill scale) and would probably destroy my endmills, I do enjoy watching the HSS bits work through the ugly bits, leaving bright shine steel for my mill to play with : )

You were right on the two speeds for the motor Dallen. I went back to the 1140 rpm setting, I think it was a faulty ground connection that was causing me all the grief to start with.

I'm using a heavy gear oil in the scotch yoke and gears, only problem is the lack of a sump, it drips directly onto the floor through the base. I need to make some hockey puck feet so I can put a catch basin underneath.

Cheers Everyone
Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Shawn, sure running quiet now. Wish my Logan was that silent.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Very nice, Shawn. Possibly the most enjoyable machine to watch.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: