Wood Lathe Exert
Hi All

First project on new Lathe. My dad (80Yrs young) has just treated himself to a brand new wood lathe. He currently has a large apollo that he uses to make pens. But this is too large so he has purchase a very nice VFD controlled wood lathe from a UK supplier Axminster. But Dad being Dad was too tight to purchase a new chuck. He wanted to utilse the Super Nova chuck he has with his Apollo.

So decided I would make him an exert. Lathe Spindle is M33 x 3.5 thread. But Super Nova chuck measures (dont quote me have to check again) 37mm x 3mm thread.

Found one on web but would rather make it as project.

http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/product....9/sn/EXN34

Cut the length of material wanted but just thing about how to start. The outer thread needs to be perfectly parallel with the inner thread so that the Chuck will run true. So I was thinking this.

1. Machine OD down to 37mm ready for threads.
2. Turn job in chuck then drill out to inside diameter ready for M33 threads.
3. bore inside to size
4. thread inside on lathe M33 x 3.5
5. turn job in chuck and thread outside. to oddly 37mm x 3mm (must be imperial but a 3mm thread pitch gauge fits perfectly)

Any help would be great.

Regards

Mike
Thanks given by:
I may be wrong but it look like you need to thread the inside then put a bar in the lathe and thread it so it running true then put the adapter on it and thread the outside.

Way your saying I see it being tough to get it centered, you won't have anyway to indicate the inside.  But I've been wrong more then 3 times in my time here.

Don't forget to make the Honking big spanner so it matches the one in the catalog Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I agree with dallen's method, but you might need to make the outside threaded spindle first to check the internal threads on the adaptor, then put it in the 4 jaw and dial it in to finish the adaptor.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It's always best not to remove the fixture thread, but if you have to, like Greg suggested to use it as a gauge, be sure to turn two diameters on it to help in realigning it. You need to be sure it isn't running out or wobbling on axis.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks all, wish i'd seen this before I started last night. I turned the outside and threaded it last night. I may be able to save the job as there is still enough outside the 3 jaw to turn down so that when i turn around and put in 4 jar it will not damage threads. Also should have enough to clock on. Failing that its scrap and start again. All learning process. Only really done any turning this year. Before then it was in college 23 years ago ;-)

Is there a beginners topic area?

Thanks all

Regards

Mike
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2014, 01:52 AM)solidedge Wrote: ...

Mike

Mike,

Yes, it's the whole forum. We don't differentiate between beginner and advanced topics. We're all beginners since we all can learn new stuff no matter how long we've been at this.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2014, 01:52 AM)solidedge Wrote: Thanks all, wish i'd seen this before I started last night.  I turned the outside and threaded it last night.  I may be able to save the job as there is still enough outside the 3 jaw to turn down so that when i turn around and put in 4 jar it will not damage threads.  Also should have enough to clock on.  Failing that its scrap and start again.  All learning process.  Only really done any turning this year.  Before then it was in college 23 years ago ;-)

Thanks all

Regards

Mike

Mike,

There are a number of videos on my website that are intended for beginning machinists, incluling a few on threading. You may find some of them useful.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks All
Thanks given by:
Had some fun last night. External threads are excellent. Tried them in the chuck and they fit perfectly.

Then I thought I would make a male before I do the internal (female) so that I have some thing to try them on. i was watching John (Doubleboost) the night before and John was talking about putting the cut on with the compound slide instead of the cross slide as this then cuts on one side of the tool.

I must have done something wrong as my thread turned out like a Christmas tree. So scrapped that piece and will start again tonight.

Regards

Mike
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, excellent video. I now understand what you and John were talking about. Excellent threads.
Thanks given by: