Startrite bandsaw repairs
Hi Lads, did this a few weeks ago now but not had the chance to post. I have had a big Startrite Meba horizontal bandsaw for a few years but it needed a few things fixing, mainly the coolant and bearing blade guides, I think its 10 inch round max cut.
This is the saw its tatty but good machine, I fitted castors to it so its movable and an inverter so its ran off single phase 240 volt.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild002.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild001.jpg]
As you will see the guide bearing housings have had a hard life, the vice quick locking handle has been snapped off , the main pivot shaft has slid along into the casting, the quick release spring is missing , the stop bolt snapped off, the coolant pump was belt driven from the motor , that packed in so fitted a couple of electric pumps that both failed so another new pump was needed too.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild003.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild004.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild005.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild006.jpg]
The damaged bearing guides are cast and can hit the vice when the saw is lowered is not careful, this has cracked both guides, one has been repaired in the past, as with all machinery repairs I seem to come across , not very well done.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild013.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild014.jpg]
Cleaned off and stripped down they have been almost cut through on the underside with the rear of the blade inside, the bearings the blade runs on must have collapsed at some point in the past but the saw still been used for this to have happened.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild016.jpg]
The previous repair was made good and the other guide welded up with cast rods and patched with extra plate on the top to strengthen them up.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild077.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild078.jpg]
Back together and primed with new bearings fitted that the back of the blade runs against, the shafts etc were cleaned up that they fit to and the other bits and bobs fettled on the main saw.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild081.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrebuild082.jpg]
Re fitted to the saw , new coolant pipes , tap and pump fitted to the tank, the first one did not have enough flow so a bigger pump fitted that seems to do the job now.
[Image: Bandsawrebuild086.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrepairs2008.jpg]
First job after the blade guides were set up , cut an old Oxy bottle in to three inch sections for John Doubleboost for wheels for his Lister trolly, the saw cuts lovely and straight now.
[Image: Bandsawrepairs2006.jpg]
[Image: Bandsawrepairs2007.jpg]
I plan on doing a few mods to the saw so you can hold shorter stock to cut and also a stop system of some sort so repetitive cuts of the same length can be made.
 Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Mick.   Smiley-eatdrink004

Now that is a saw!  Thumbsup 
Willie
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs107  Mick ,   looks like we will have to bringing all or materials to your shop to be cut up  ,just to give the saw a work out lol  Smiley-dancenana

Rob
Thanks given by:
Excellent job Mick Thumbsup  At first I wondered about the need for the rear coolant jet "after the cut" so to speak but I guess it does a good job flushing the cuttings out of the blade guides.

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Mick Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
well dun  Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Very nice repair/upgrade. Now, when will the remainder of the saw receive a new paint job? :)
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2014, 06:41 AM)stevec Wrote: Excellent job Mick Thumbsup  At first I wondered about the need for the rear coolant jet "after the cut" so to speak but I guess it does a good job flushing the cuttings out of the blade guides.

Smiley-eatdrink004

Exactly why I added a second coolant nozzle on my saw. To wash the chips off the blade before heading into the next set of guide bearings.  Happyyes
Willie
Thanks given by: