A lean-to
(10-24-2014, 04:55 PM)awemawson Wrote: ... nah .... your lathe and mill and shaper will skid all over the place on those stones - you need a good thick layer of concrete and rebar !!!!:)

Good drainage though.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Time to put the other beam up, the one on top of the posts.

The beam is held in place with some brackets. Steel 220mm long 50mm wide and 5mm thick. 4 - 10M bolts and nuts hold it all, 2 in the steel post and 2 thru the beam.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Now with both beams up I can fix the trusses / joists, using truss hangers.

The two end timbers cannot use the truss hangers (I have) so first I'll have to make some brackets before I can fix the end timbers.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave,

They make brackets specifically for the end joists.

Ed

Thanks given by:
These are the bracket I made, well cut from some 50mm x50mm x3mm angle iron. Four in total two of each.

Showing how the brackets are used, still to finish putting in all the screws.

This is just a view across the road - whilst on the step ladder I thought I would take a photo.

And there is a South African Police vehicle going passed.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2014, 08:41 AM)EdK Wrote: Dave,

They make brackets specifically for the end joists.

Ed

Hi Ed, They do here just couldn't find the ones I wanted, after visiting 3 places - to heck with it I'll make some Smile another day they will have them by the barrow load. Slaphead
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
With all the joists fixed (yep I did put those missing screws in) checked all was tight, gave it a coat of paint.

Still to paint the posts.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Looking good. Out of curiosity, the wood screws are slotted with what looks like a robertson head in the middle, is that a normal screw in South Africa?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Greg,
The screws are pan heads combination Phillips/slot.
The Roberson sq drive are common only for counter sunk wood/chipboard screws. Seems to be taking over the phillips head.
I've not seen any pan head with the Roberson sq drive - not in the local hardware stores but it will come with all the 'power screwdrivers'.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
hi well its cuming a long nice Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: DaveH