Customizing a field stock for a pump shotgun
Don't think there's any backlash in my 10 inch Makita, its definitely gear drive, the motor sits at a 45 degree angle to allow the blade to tip left or right.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: Highpower
No backlash on my Hitachi. Backlash would make a miter saw pretty useless in my opinion. I assume you mean side to side movement and not inline with the blade, but I could be wrong.

Ed
Thanks given by:
check the local pawn shops, some guy's are always pawning their tools for beer money
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I don't do CL. There are news stories every week here about somebody that got robbed and murdered when they showed up for a CL deal. I tried selling a car several years ago on CL. Good grief what a nightmare. I had lunatics galore coming out of the woodwork. Never again.

Ed, I didn't mean end play on the blade (side to side). You're right, that would make any power saw useless and dangerous. I was talking about when rotating the blade. Sort of like having the change gears set too far apart on your lathe. You need to have a slight clearance between the gear teeth so they don't get too tight when the machine warms up. This saw was way too loose and sloppy in the gears and was clattering as it was running. I'm thinking it was dropped or something heavy was dropped on top of the box that slammed the blade into the bottom of the casting, resulting in the crack. Maybe that shifted/broke something in the gear drive as well? Who knows.

Amazon has already shipped another saw and it should arrive tomorrow. We'll see how that one checks out and I'll go from there....
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Highpower Wrote: I don't do CL. There are news stories every week here about somebody that got robbed and murdered when they showed up for a CL deal. I tried selling a car several years ago on CL. Good grief what a nightmare. I had lunatics galore coming out of the woodwork. Never again.

Willie,

It sounds like you need to move to Detroit where it's safer. Big Grin

I use CL all the time and have never had an issue. Every car I have sold over the last 15 years has been through CL and with two boys, that was as many as five a year. Only once was I uncomfortable enough that I carried to a purchase and that was just because the location was out in the middle of nowhere.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Sorry Willie, I thought you had these in the US. The link below gives the information:
men's shed
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
(10-23-2014, 01:05 PM)TomG Wrote: It sounds like you need to move to Detroit where it's safer. Big Grin

Tom

That's not far from the truth Tom. I won't let the wife visit the local Wally World / Sam's Club alone. When we do go I always carry. It was a target of the Ferguson protestors not long ago. Plenty of sirens going by my house day and night heading to that location on a daily basis.

Oh.... UPS just picked up the defective saw.  Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-23-2014, 03:28 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Sorry Willie, I thought you had these in the US. The link below gives the information:
men's shed
That is too cool Darren. Smiley-eatdrink004

I've never heard of such an organization around here. Do they keep a fully equipped shop of tools, or is it a bring-your-own tools type of get together? The only rather sizable gatherings of men around here that I know of, involve a VFW, American Legion, or Mason's hall, a bar, and cold beer. I don't think they get much work done though.....  Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Highpower Wrote: ...

Ed, I didn't mean end play on the blade (side to side). You're right, that would make any power saw useless and dangerous. I was talking about when rotating the blade. Sort of like having the change gears set too far apart on your lathe. You need to have a slight clearance between the gear teeth so they don't get too tight when the machine warms up........

After thinking about it some more, I kind of figured you meant backlash inline with the blade. I just went and checked my Hitachi, which is direct drive, and it has about 1/8" of movement.

Ed
(10-23-2014, 05:33 PM)EdK Wrote:
(10-23-2014, 11:09 AM)Highpower Wrote: ...

Ed, I didn't mean end play on the blade (side to side). You're right, that would make any power saw useless and dangerous. I was talking about when rotating the blade. Sort of like having the change gears set too far apart on your lathe. You need to have a slight clearance between the gear teeth so they don't get too tight when the machine warms up........

After thinking about it some more, I kind of figured you meant backlash inline with the blade. I just went and checked my Hitachi, which is direct drive, and it has about 1/8" of movement.

Ed

Thanks Ed. 1/8" is more in line with what I would consider "normal" backlash for something like a power saw. Not that I know anything about power saws....  Rotfl

I can feel .006" backlash with my fingers when setting up a ring and pinion though.  Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: