Customizing a field stock for a pump shotgun
(10-20-2014, 09:30 PM)TomG Wrote: I used a Freud 72 tooth fine cross-cut blade to chop off the field stock on my wife's gun so she could shoot it while I built the trap stock. No pre-scoring or tape and it made a perfect cut with no splinters. Unfortunately as Willie found out, a blade like that runs around $60, but they do make nice cuts.

Tom

Wow. You don't know how happy I am to see that Tom.  Smiley-dancenana

That is the same blade I ordered. Well maybe... I didn't get the more expensive one with the non-stick coating. Still, $65 for the "plain" Freud thin kerf 72 tooth blade. I did some reading on the web and saw that the alternating teeth and negative rake angle are best for fine cuts on a sliding saw? At least it sounded good to me anyway, so I went with it.  Blush

Greg, I went with the 12" only because I figured I could use it as a straight "chop saw" for cutting stocks. I actually do have an old Craftsman 10" miter saw sitting outside in my shed, but it isn't big enough to go all the way across the stock (4-3/4"). At most I can cut 2x4's with it which makes it really limited. I won't have a need to cut any big lumber like 6x6's but it will be nice to be able to cut up to a 2x12 if I have to.

Ed, I started off looking at the Harbor Freight saw, but after reading a lot of bad reviews about it (no surprise) I decided against it. Lots of complaints about the belt drive getting hot and stinking. Also HF does not stock or sell ANY replacement parts for the saw! If it breaks after the 90 day warranty (or extended warranty) you are SOL. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat with this one, but at least it is a direct drive and I wont have to worry about burning up a drive belt you can't get. This one will spend more time collecting dust than getting used. But it will be nice to have when I need it.

Interesting that the price on this one went up right after I ordered one. I paid $176 and change, no sales tax, and free shipping. I sure couldn't afford to spend $400 - $900 for a name brand!  Sadno

Wen 12" miter saw.
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Question - by Highpower - 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
RE: Customizing a field stock for a pump shotgun - by Highpower - 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM