Mule
I like that idea Willie, if I can't get the thing to run backwards we may go in that direction. Could rig a drive off the fan end but then i'd loose the recoil starter.
Went out to the shop for a quick look and some inspiration, just got back in 3 hours latter. Looks like I can rotate the housing on the charge pump and reverse the flow, think that problem is solved but as near as I can figure from the shop manual I found on line the stroke limiting in reverse is done inside the case but i may be able to flip the swash plate over. Will have to see.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(11-05-2014, 12:44 AM)f350ca Wrote: Went out to the shop for a quick look and some inspiration, just got back in 3 hours latter.

Rotfl  Rotfl  Rotfl

I know how that goes. I'm always getting myself in trouble with the better half.
Q: "You coming up soon? Dinner is ready."

A: "Yeah, just give me 5 more minutes......."

Result: Cold dinner AND cold shoulder!  Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Well the transmission works great with a few caveats. Reversing or rotating the charge pump housing worked as I'd hoped, but as expected reverse is forward and vice versa. Goes a reasonable speed in reverse which is now forward and lightning fast in forward, which is now reverse. Can't imagine why they wanted a garden tractor going that fast but will be perfect for my application. Will stall the engine if its to reved up when you give her high gear.
So now its reverse the swash plate if thats possible OR after looking closer the input shaft goes right through the pump, so I might be able to mount the engine behind the axle and switch back to normal. The differential housing sits high but there might be enough room to get a driveshaft over it.
We're grinning.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Started disassembling the tractor and degreased the transaxle.
[Image: IMG_1490.jpg]

That shaft coming out of the back of the pump is the extension of the input shaft, same 5/8 dia. The plan now is to mount the engine behind the transaxle (rear engine just like a Porsche) and drive in through that shaft. All rotations will be correct and the engine will be more accessible for service.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Just a thought is it possible to turn the axle over, or put the crown wheel on the other side of the pinion.
I have used this method and it works a treat.

Brian
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
Got That wrong ?

I am told that the other side of the workshop door is in another time zone.
Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
Sorry Brian I somehow missed your post. Hadn't thought of reversing the crown, thats a great idea. If I can mount the engine behind the axle my problems are solved with the axle as is. If not will look into reversing the crown, will depend on the case, whether there is room on the opposite side of the pinion. Volkswagen did that with the bug and the van. The van had gear reducers at the end of the axles, they flipped the crown to correct the rotation.
Thanks
Greg
Thanks given by:
Stripped the transaxle out of the frame today. 

[Image: IMG_1495.jpg]

Out of curiosity put it on the scales, the bloody thing weighs 175 pounds. Shouldn't be doing it much harm in this application.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Todays progress.

Bolted the rear part of the frame to the transaxle, had to make a couple of recesses to clear bolts that looked like they'd miss in the original design. After a couple of attempts I got the motor mounting plate to fit, (made a new drawing on the shop computer but read the dimensions on the print wrong, the plasma cuts out exactly what you tell it).
The good news is the shafts line up. Will have to put a bit of a twist in the exhaust to clear the frame but that shouldn't be an issue,

[Image: IMG_1498.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1497.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
That looks great Greg!  Cool 
Willie
Thanks given by: f350ca