I've been offered a surface grinder
(11-11-2014, 05:51 PM)TomG Wrote: You Suck

Wait...I'll pay $200. How much do you think it would cost to ship it up here?

Probably more than the purchase price Tom!

I would have thought you already had a Brown & Sharpe Micromaster, Okamoto or Mitsui Seiki surface grinder to be good company with your Hardinge HLV-H.

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I spoke to the owner and there is no chuck , so I will have to keep an eye out for one. Will probably pick it up next weekend.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Echo on the You Suck .
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
On my ute, ready to be unloaded  Big Grin

As you can see, it is in several pieces.  The saddle and table were already off, as the Y axis lead screw was damage prior to the PO getting it and the handwheel is missing as a result.  Most probably a forklift driver not paying attention, as is often the case.  The shaft has been repaired, so I just need to find/make a suitable handwheel.  I took the grinder off the stand to make moving easier.  I also took of the Z axis handwheel (which is located at top of the column), so that I didn't tempt fate!

As you can see the make is Chevalier and judging by the table size (18" x 5-3/4"), I am going to guess that it is an 18x6 model.  It has standard vee and flat ways, and a rack and pinion drive for the X axis.  

It is going to get a quick degrease, the electronics fixed up and put back together.  I've had a quick look online but I can't seem to find a manual or any other info.  Guess I'll have to look harder!

OK - just because I know you all like pics...

This was originally wired up for the US, as it has a stepdown transformer to provide 110V to an external single phase outlet (top right-hand corner).  There is also a 3 phase outlet on the base, which I imagine is for a dust collection system.

The wheel currently on it has seen better days and measures 180mm x 13mm x 31.75mm

Note the "pin wrench" (bottom centre)!

I'm assuming these are table clamps

Buckets of bits!

Thanks given by:
Very nice Darren. That would be a 6X18 grinder, with 6 and 18 inches of travel on the X and Y axes. I'm a little surprised at the flat ways. Most have V ways. How is the table located in Y?

When you are ready to fire it up, be very leery of those used wheels as it doesn't take much to damage one in a move. In fact , the one mounted in the pic has a gouge in the edge. You should always ring them out when mounting them anyway.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom. The table has a v way and a flat one. The saddle is upside-down in the pics, so you cannot see them. In the last pic you can see a rectangular block with several holes in it. The nut attaches to this and it, in turn, attaches to the saddle.

Any wheels I put onto any of my grinders gets the ring test. The one in that came with it will most likely end up in the bin.
Thanks given by:
I like what I see there Darren! You should check the imprint on the table with a tape measure to be sure it was a 6x18" magnetic chuck that was on it, then go looking for one. I don't know if the control on the machine can handle an electric mag chuck control, so if not you'd be looking for a permanent magnet chuck like mine.

The wheel that came with it should be tossed, too dangerous to even try spinning it up with that big gash in it. Start with a Norton 32A-46VBE or similar. The machine appears to be able to take up to 8" wheels, so check the guard for that. I say that because the mounting arbor on it looks larger than the ones used for the more common 7" wheels. Keep an eye open for additional arbors, I have about 13 of them now. With wheels always mounted and ready to change, you can skip dressing a wheel for roughing, and only have to dress off .001" to .003" for finishing cuts.

I used mine today for squaring up a block of 4142 steel for a part I started making for David A. (dallen), and what a joy it is to have a surface grinder!

Congratulations for getting it to your shop!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ken. The table measures 5-3/4" by 18" so I'm guessing that was the size chuck to get.

I'll know more next week when I get the chance to look at it closer. Are there any specific things I should look at and/or measure?

I've had no luck finding a manual. Mind you, the sticker on the machine that I assume had this information on it is nothing more than a sticky stain.
Thanks given by:
I looked on line but only found one manual at Amazon priced at $100.00. I suggest contacting Chevalier at http://www.chevalierusa.com/ to see if they have it as a PDF. BTW, I've never operated one, but I understand they are very good machines. Made in Taiwan rather than mainland China.
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Here you go Darren.

http://www.industrialmanuals.com/chevali...p-3001.php

$39 for the hard-copy and $35 for the PDF or $56.50 for both. They do take PayPal. Let me know if you want it and I'll purchase it for you if they won't work with you.

Ed

Thanks given by: Mayhem