donkey saw lopping
hi all

reasonably new here, but first metal related project since joining so thought id share.

Inherited this old donkey saw a few years ago from an old friend who passed away. Not sure of make and model despite lots of searching, But it appears as though it was originally driven off a centralised factory drive, and has since been converted to run off modern electricary.

[Image: 20141019_195946.jpg]

lovely bit of kit, much better than the horizontal bandsaw I used before. Only problems are:

too heavy to move around,
too tall to stow away under workbench when not being used

So, I decided to lower it, and fit wheels.

As I reckon its survived atleast one world war, I didnt want to start cutting its existing legs up, just for a quick fix. So I decided to make my own base and bolt it to the machine using the same bolt holes the original legs used. Atleast that way, if anybody every wanted it back original it would be fairly straight forward conversion.

so; this was my best attempt. Dont laugh

[Image: 20141116_102132.jpg]

[Image: 20141116_102127.jpg]

[Image: 20141116_173203.jpg]

[Image: 20141116_174017.jpg]

[Image: 20141117_070316.jpg]

To Do:

wheels are plastic... Once ive plucked up the courage to get stuck into my lathe, il make some metal replacements. Ive mounted the present ones in a way that they can be replaced at a later date.

Belt Drive: I understand this type of belt is called "balata" but I cant seem to find a supplier for a decent replacment. Il keep my eyes peeled.

Thats all for now. Hope this message finds you all well!
Thanks given by:
I like it! It's nice to see that you preserved the original legs too.  Thumbsup 

I love to see older machinery like that still being used and preserved.
Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Thumbsup 
Certainly does look pre-war
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nifty use of the new rect. tube legs as blade storage. Good job Thumbsup .

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The belt looks like an automotive serpentine belt to me so try an automotive parts house.

I too have a similar saw that dates to the early 1900's and I just may "steal" your idea of the tubular frame.
Thanks given by:
Nice saw and nicely done.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
That's a handsome chunk of cast iron! Very glad you're using it for real work.

re. the belt -- measure the pitch of the teeth of your timing belt and I'm sure you can match it up to a standard size and type from drive suppliers databases online.

I'm going to guess that "balata" is just a brand name. Timing belts tend to be standardized, and manufactured by many concerns.

I believe serpentine belts are usually what we call here poly-vee belts with the grooves running lengthwise, while timing belts have the crosswise teeth, as yours does. I'm guessing your driver pulley is a timing gear type.

Poly-vee belts do work well with flat belt pulleys in conversions -- probably better than timing belts but they each use a different style of driver pulley.

I have  Lister type diesel that runs a generator head and uses poly-vee style belt.
Thanks given by:
These people supply Balata belt, either cut to length or joined

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/3-P...5mm-thick/
NormanV, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2014.
Thanks given by:
vtsteam: I used a timing belt; only because I had a few of them lying around. I coupled them together with a fashioned metal bracket. But it has since broken. and I am now without belt.

NormanV. I found that website aswell (no.1 result on google I think) but the site is american? so I imagine uk shipping costs will be exepnsive. But that said I havent actually tried

I think im going to buy a continuous "poly V" as mentioned above, from somewhere rather than messing around with buckles and balata etc

thanks for all your kind words.
Thanks given by: