shop made forklift?????????????
Has anyone seen or built a shop made forklift such as this one?

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/13/diy-forkl...home-shop/

I like the compact size and the use of an electric drive rather than internal combustion.  The author seems to have put a lot of thought into his design.

Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.

Stan
Thanks given by: f350ca
Interesting, BUT this type of project scares the hell out of me. Raising heavy weights overhead using un-engineered machinery is courting disaster. Any number of structural failures risk catastrophic failure, dropping the load on the operator or an innocent bystander. Unless you have a mechanical engineering background or access to someone who does this is probably a project best avoided. Case in point; the forks are the most highly stressed component of a forklift and the builder chose to use welded steel tubing in lieu of forged high strength steel commonly used in such an application.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-25-2014, 01:31 PM)TomG Wrote: Interesting, BUT this type of project scares the hell out of me. Raising heavy weights overhead using un-engineered machinery is courting disaster. Any number of structural failures risk catastrophic failure, dropping the load on the operator or an innocent bystander. Unless you have a mechanical engineering background or access to someone who does this is probably a project best avoided. Case in point; the forks are the most highly stressed component of a forklift and the builder chose to use welded steel tubing in lieu of forged high strength steel commonly used in such an application.

Tom

I too looked apprehension at the forks plus the lack of overhead protection.  I've had Engineering Design which included stress & strain and other forces calculations.  I plan to change to solid steel forks that can be removed and slid under the forklift to reduce the footprint while not in use.  I'll also add overhead protection and possibly retractable outriggers for increased stability.

Thanks for the input.

Stan
Thanks given by:
A bit of back tilt on the forks once the load is engaged would be a huge advantage.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I thought it was rather intriguing. I'll agree a little light but a neat idea. I can see another project coming, already know where there's an electric scooter. HUM.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom 

Quote:Any number of structural failures risk catastrophic failure, dropping the load on the operator or an innocent bystander

I dont see how  , the operator is far enough back and there should be no one standing around/under  an elevated load . Power pedestrian pallet trucks do not have over head guards.   

Quote:Case in point; the forks are the most highly stressed component of a forklift and the builder chose to use welded steel tubing in lieu of forged high strength steel commonly used in such an application.

Not true , allot of small stacker's use a folded "U" section fork welded to the carriage . 

Rob 
Thanks given by:
The forks I made for the tractor are 4 inch channel with the flange cut down the length to taper them to a point at the tip, then welded 1/4 x 4 flat bar to the bottom. I've managed to bend the tips trying to lever rocks out of the ground or logs from a frozen pile but they work fine for the 1200 pound lift of the tractor.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The shop built fork lift inspired me to conduct some more research.  Looking at the prices of used wheelchair/scooter motors, controllers, and joy sticks it started to really add up.

So with a little bit more research I found a used 1500# PRESTO for $499.  It's about an 8 hour drive each way so fuel, meals, and one night in a cheap motel would cost me real close to $250.  I believe the total would be less than just the materials and components.  In addition that does not include my labor.
Thanks given by:
Hi Stan ,

Dam shame your tother side of the pond . Anyway whats a " 1500# PRESTO"   i did a google and got a 1500 watt electric wok , dam shure your not paying $499 for a wok lol 

Rob 
Thanks given by:
Its a 1500 pound (681.82 kilos for those who use the world wide units of measure) walk behind mini forklift.

BTW, PRESTO is a well known US manufacturer of material handling equipment such as lift tables and carts.  I do not know if there is any current or past connection with the low end home appliance manufacturer.

BTW, did the forum use mail to broadcast the posts in 1885? ;}
Thanks given by: