Remington 511 sear
Kasenit was Sodium Ferrocyanide, also called "yellow prussiate of soda" from what I gather. While it has the word "cyanide" in the formula, it is NOT cyanide, nor is it all that hazardous to use or handle. It is used as a food additive as an anti-caking agent.

Maybe the name scared everyone away from this stuff?

Cherry Red uses some other chemicals to accomplish the same end.
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2014, 08:51 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ooops - absolutely nothing - sorry about that,  getting m' poisons mixed up.

Just my brain, should get better after Christmas.  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

I'm also getting my poisons mixed up. It's arsenic that was used in treated wood. Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-25-2014, 08:40 AM)EdK Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 08:51 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ooops - absolutely nothing - sorry about that,  getting m' poisons mixed up.

Just my brain, should get better after Christmas.  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

I'm also getting my poisons mixed up. It's arsenic that was used in treated wood.  Blush

Ed

Same here guys. DOH!!!
Willie
Thanks given by:
I just found this site and was exploring wen I found this place.
Years ago a fellow tried to do a trigger job on a Mossburg 22 mag and flummoxed the trigger part so bad it wouldn't cock at all. As it was an unavailable factory part, I ground a notch where the case hardened part of the trigger was origonally located and silver soldered in a piece of 1/8 square tool steel in it's place. The angle was odd so I build a fixture to hold it in the tool and cutter grinder and "snuck" up on the exact angle that way. The trigger pull was as crisp glass breaking and a easy 2 1/2 lbs. He was happy even with a larger bill that I quoted.
Thanks given by:
2-1/2 lb trigger on a Mossberg?  Yikes 

Too risky for my taste.  I'd like to keep my house.  Big Grin 
Willie
Thanks given by:
I have triggers that are a lot lighter than that. Benchrest guys do ounces. The snide remarks will get you nothing.
I will leave this forum as fast as i found it if all I find are folks like you. Have the day you deserve.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 10:23 AM)Cactus Farmer Wrote: I have triggers that are a lot lighter than that. Benchrest guys do ounces. The snide remarks will get you nothing.
I will leave this forum as fast as i found it if all I find are folks like you. Have the day you deserve.

So are you saying that this "fellow" is shooting benchrest rifle competition with a Mossberg .22 mag?  Chin

No snide remarks, just a personal perspective on doing a lightweight trigger job on a general purpose sporting rifle that someone else will be responsible for handling. I don't have that kind of product liability insurance and can't afford losing everything I own in a lawsuit should there be an 'accident' resulting from said trigger job.

Oscar Mossberg and his sons manufactured firearms built to a price point for the average working class Joe. "More Gun For The Money" by Victor and Cheryl Havilin. It's a great book on the history of the company.

Benchrest rifles are precision built instruments that are designed for extremely light triggers. Mossberg rifles were not. Apples and oranges. Shooting a rifle propped up on a bench is far different than carrying around a rifle in the field, or position shooting on a range. I know this because I spent a LOT of time shooting across-the-course high power rifle competition for many years. Safety trumps all else in my book, and the rule book too for that matter.

For what it's worth, you'll find a wide variety of folks here with all kinds of experience and knowledge on a lot of different subjects - and all of them smarter than me, so maybe that will be incentive enough to stick around.
Willie
Thanks given by:
As I said, I did what the fellow wanted, and FYI, the trigger pull it felt good and not anyway like a safety issue.
I don't and won't do unsafe work, I've been smithing for 30+ years and know my limitations. You ,sir, do not know me and will not in all likely hood ever. As I said before, have the day you deserve, Translated "Karma is a b***h".
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 10:23 AM)Cactus Farmer Wrote: I have triggers that are a lot lighter than that. Benchrest guys do ounces. The snide remarks will get you nothing.

Don't sweat it, Highpower was just sharing an opinion, with smiley faces included. Lots of good info and folks around here and it sounds like you have plenty to share yourself.

As for me and the original object of this thread, I have not even had a chance to get back to fitting the replacement sear I got. My job has had me traveling around out of state, so I have not had the time to get back to it. Hoping to do so perhaps the week after next.

And welcome to the forum, some very cool stuff gets posted and discussed around here. Thanks for chiming in.

-Al
Thanks given by: